Only applications submitted through the electronic residency application service (ERAS) will be accepted.
No applications are reviewed after Dec. 31.
Please note that only candidates that are interested in a four year AP/CP program should apply. No exceptions will be considered.
For graduates of foreign medical schools:
- Copy of valid ECFMG certificate for all international medical graduates
- Copy of current J1, H1 or temporary work permit (if applicable)
- Copy of USMLE results, Parts 1 and 2 required and Part 3 preferred (Parts 1, 2 and 3 required for H1B visas)
- Copy of 5th Pathway certificate (if applicable)
- Foreign language documents must be submitted along with English translated version.
For residents currently attending American medical schools:
- Three current letters of recommendation from medical school faculty, including:
- Letter from Dean indicating student's status and expected graduation date. (Letters must be less than six months old.)
- Official medical school transcript copy, including 3rd year grades.
- Copy of final year grades and medical school diploma must be submitted upon graduation.
For residents who have completed some residency training:
- Copy of medical school diploma and final transcripts.
- Copy of curriculum vitae
- 3 current letters of recommendation including
- Faculty letter from current or most recent residency/fellowship training program or employer that includes training/employment start and end dates. (Letters must be less than 6 months old.)
USMLE scores and favorable consideration
There is no USMLE minimum score requirement. However, scores of 220 and above on parts 1 and 2 and passage of part 3 will be favorably considered.
We pride ourselves on our collegial environment, interpersonal communication and team work skills will be evaluated in the selection process.
Favorable consideration is also given to:
- Graduation within the past 6 years
- Clinical research experience
- Publication in peer-reviewed journals
Northwell Health sponsors both the J-1 Visa (with USMLE Parts 1 and 2) and the H1B visa (with USMLE parts 1, 2 and 3).
There is a mandatory health system orientation approximately one week before the start of the academic year and a mandatory department orientation on the first work day of the academic year.
Scheduling interviews with applicants is one of the most exciting parts of our year. It not only gives us the opportunity to meet the applicants who are interested in becoming part of our team, but also for us to share information about our program that we have built over the last 30 years.
In-person interviews begin on November 1. We will reach out to prospective applications to schedule interviews. Once we reach out to schedule an interview, our program coordinator, Lisa Kilfeather, is happy to answer any questions that applicants may have about interview arrangements. We also assign a senior resident to each candidate, who will call the applicant one week prior to the scheduled interview to discuss any questions, meets the applicant for coffee on their interview day, escorts them to the didactic session and introduces them to other residents and provides a tour of the Core Laboratory and either North Shore University Hospital or Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
A sample interview day looks like:
- 7:15 a.m. – Upon arrival, candidates are greeted by a member of the resident welcoming committee (their senior resident) who will navigate them through their day.
- 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. - Resident Daily Conference
- 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Program director welcome
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. – Interviews with the program director and subspecialty faculty
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. – Lunch, discussion with residents and tour of facility
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Additional interviews with subspecialty faculty
- 2 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. – Meeting with program coordinator
- 2:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Wrap-up session with the program director
For additional information please direct your questions to Lisa Kilfeather, program coordinator:
Department of Anatomic Pathology
5 Dakota Drive
Lake Success, NY 11042
Email: [email protected]