Fellowship in Vascular Neurology at Northwell Health
The Vascular Neurology fellowship is a one-year program seeking to train leaders in the fields of vascular neurology. The program is ACGME accredited in Vascular Neurology. One year provides the necessary rotations in vascular neurology, neuroradiology and neurorehabilitation medicine required for Vascular Neurology board eligibility.
Northwell Health provides high-quality clinical care to patients with stroke, including diagnostic evaluation, acute treatment, stroke prevention, management of complications, endovascular stroke therapy, counseling and social intervention. The fellow will have first-hand experience in the clinical management of complex stroke patients.
The fellow in this program will complete the following rotations:
- Stroke inpatient and emergency care
- Stroke outpatient, neurosonology
- Interventional neuroradiology and neurorehabilitation
Opportunities to participate in clinical research are available. The fellowship also provides ample opportunity for pursuit of individual interests or projects.
Clinical rotations include the neuro ICU and stroke unit, where they participate in daily morning rounds with the supervision of the faculty, provide supervision of residents on weeknights and weekends and respond to stroke codes during weekdays and when on call. Fellows will gain experience in carotid doppler and transcranial doppler, as well as interventional neuroradiology. Further educational experiences include the outpatient stroke clinic, didactic lectures and reading assignments (including Journal club and personal mentoring).
Our stroke team includes board-certified vascular neurologists who are available 24/7.
North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset is a tertiary care facility that is one of the cornerstones of the health system. It was named the nation's top hospital by AARP's Modern Maturity magazine. The 804-bed hospital provides exceptional patient care.
At this site, the fellow will be exposed to the evaluation and treatment of patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage and AVMs, as well as neurocritical care and endovascular therapy. The fellow will also be exposed to all aspects of comprehensive stroke care and diagnostic evaluation including cerebral angiography, MRI and CT perfusion imaging and NOVA MRA. The fellow will manage patients in the Neurosurgery ICU and Stroke Unit/Service.
Glen Cove Hospital receives outstanding scores in patient satisfaction, along with a comprehensive service excellence program. The 247-bed hospital, which includes a 55-bed rehabilitation unit and a state-of-the-art 10-bed brain injury unit, provides exemplary medical and surgical care.
Applicants interested in the vascular neurology training program at Northwell Health should apply through the electronic residency application service (ERAS), which allow applications starting Dec. 1.
No applications are reviewed after March 1.
Essential application information includes:
- Common application form
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Two(2) letters of recommendation
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
All correspondence and questions concerning the Vascular Neurology Fellowship Program should be directed to:
Email: [email protected]
Richard Benjamin Libman, MD
- Chief of Division - Cerebrovascular Disease of Neurology - Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Vice Chairman - Vice Chairman of Neurology of Neurology - Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Professor, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile
Jeffrey Matthew Katz, MD
- Chief - Vascular Services of Neurology, North Shore University Hospital
- Director - Comprehensive Stroke Center of Neurology, North Shore University Hospital
- Associate Professor, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile