Fellowship in Pediatric Urology at Northwell Health
The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Cohen Children’s Medical Center offers a two-year fellowship training program in pediatric urology aimed at preparing the fellow to obtain Subspecialty Certification in Pediatrics from the American Board of Urology. The ACGME accredited clinical year consists of a combination of very high volume operative (over 1700 cases per year including robotic/laparoscopic and reconstructive), inpatient and outpatient clinic and consultative experience and educational conferences in pediatric urology.
The clinical training is conducted primarily at Cohen Children’s Medical Center, a 210-bed teaching hospital committed to comprehensive care of children -- from infants to young adults. A secondary experience takes place at the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center where additional index cases are available for the fellow. The second year integrates clinical and research work in which academic endeavors are conducted with protected time with clinical time spent as junior staff.
- To develop sufficient skill to perform complex, laparoscopic, and routine surgery of the genitourinary tract in children.
- Able to evaluate and manage surgical and non-surgical pediatric urological problems in both office and consultative settings.
- Appreciate the multi-disciplinary approach to evaluating and managing children with myelodysplasia, ambiguous genitalia, urologic malignancy and renal disease.
- Learn fundamental techniques and principles to help develop the ability to write manuscripts and develop an academic career.
Applicants interested in the pediatric urology training program at Northwell Health should direct letters of intent to Dr. Palmer (below) and apply through the Society for Pediatric Urology (SPU). Interviews are conducted in the winter-early Spring and the Match, conducted by the American Urological Association, takes place in the Spring.
Essential application information includes:
- Universal application form available from SPU
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from faculty members familiar with your performance
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
Please send application materials to Dr. Palmer at [email protected] or by mail to:
1999 Marcus Avenue, M18
Lake Success, NY 11042
Lane S. Palmer, MD
- Chief of Division of Urology - Pediatric Urology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Chief of Division of Urology, North Shore University Hospital
- Chief of Division - Pediatric Urology of Urology, North Shore University Hospital
- Clinical Professor, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile
Ronnie Fine, MD
Paul Zelkovic, MD
Lori Dyer, MD
Richard Schlussel, MD