Residency in Combined Emergency Medicine & Internal Medicine at Long Island Jewish Medical Center
The Combined Residency program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center is an integrated five-year curriculum for dual board certification. This residency is also one of three programs nationwide to offer an optional critical care certification that can be completed with an additional sixth year.
The curriculum is staggered into three-month blocks to offer unique opportunities including a wide range of clinical exposure and a graded increase of responsibilities. Residents become top-rank members of a hospital procedure team where they continually improve their skills. Leadership roles are expected in the fourth and fifth year during training, with fifth-year residents typically achieving Chief Residency.
The Combined Residency, while rigorous, presents many rewards including a deeper understanding of patient encounters, emergency stabilization, diagnostics and management. At Long Island Jewish Medical Center, residents will master their intellectual, instinctual and manual dexterities to serve patients in a full range of scenarios.
- Study at the first institution in the country to offer combined training
- Prepare for a wide range of leadership positions
- Develop a deeper understanding of all facets of the patient encounter – including emergency stabilization, diagnosis and ultimate management.
Applicants interested in the combined emergency medicine and internal medicine training program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center should apply through the electronic residency application service (ERAS), which allow applications starting Sept. 15.
No applications are reviewed after Dec. 5.
Essential application information includes:
- Common application form
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (two SLOE [Standardized Letters of Evaluation] and one medicine or medicine subspecialty)
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable