Northwell Health, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliated hospitals, facilities, physicians, providers, ancillary providers and companies (collectively, “Northwell”, “we”, “us” or “our”), thank you for using our Services. These Terms of Service (“Terms”) govern your access to and use of the websites (“Sites”), mobile applications (“Apps”) and other online services that make up the Northwell Health Digital Health Experience and that link to these Terms (collectively, the “Services”). The Services include all software and Content (defined below) provided through or as part of the Services.
What information we collect
When you access and use the Services, we may collect the following types of information from you:
- “Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify, contact or locate you. Examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address, telephone number and other information you provide.
- “Protected Health Information” is personally identifiable health information that is protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and its implementing regulations (“HIPAA”).
- “Transaction Information,” including limited payment information from you, such as the payment card type and expiration date and the last four digits of your payment card number.
- “Location Information” is a subset of Personal Information that can be used to locate the device you use to access the Services. Location Information may include: (i) the location of the device derived from GPS or WiFi use; (ii) the IP address of the device or internet service used to access the Services; and (iii) other information made available by a user or others that indicates the current or prior location of the user. If you do not want us to collect Location Information from your device, please disable the location setting(s) on your device or delete our Apps. Please note that disabling the location setting may affect certain features of the Services and the Apps.
- “Usage Data” is information that we automatically collect about your use of the Services and your device. This could include the date and time of your visit to our website and your location at the time of your visit, down to the city-level. This type of information does not usually, by itself, uniquely identify an individual, and may include your IP address, web browser and operating system, device model and manufacturer, and your activity on the Services.
How we collect your information
We collect the information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you:
- create an account
- access or use the Services
- pay your patient account statements
- schedule an appointment in the outpatient department of a Northwell hospital
- contact us with inquiries and comments
- complete and submit forms offered on the Services, or
We may also obtain information about you from other sources, including commercially available sources such as data aggregators, public databases and other third parties. For example, if you are on a third party website and you opt in to receive information from us, that website will forward your contact information to us so we may contact you as requested. We may combine this information with the information we collect from you to help us tailor our communications and improve our Services.
Data collection technologies
- Web Beacons. A web beacon (also referred to as clear gif, pixel tag or single-pixel gif) is a transparent graphic image used in tandem with cookies that enables us to record a user’s actions. We use web beacons to count users who have visited those pages, verify system and server integrity and for similar statistical measures.
- Log Information: When you visit the Services, our servers automatically record certain log file information, such as your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, operating system, browser type and language, referring URLs, access times, pages viewed, links clicked and other information about your activities on the Services.
- Card/account information stored/saved: Bank or credit card information is tokenized with the merchant account associated with the agreement. Bank or credit card information is never stored in the system. These services are provided by HealthPay24. For additional information regarding these services, contact HealthPay24 at HealthPay24.com.
Please read these Terms carefully before you use or access the Services, as they are a legal agreement between Northwell and you. These Terms contain important provisions that limit our liability to you.
How we use your information
We may use your information in the following ways:
- Provide you the Services and fulfill your requests. We may use your information to register you, administer your account, and provide you the information and services that you request, including information about health care and health-related services and resources.
- Communicate with you. We may communicate with you to confirm appointments, discuss billing issues, notify you of office hours, and assist us in other way to care for you. We may send you confirmations, updates, technical notices, security alerts and support and administrative messages. We may also contact you to share information and marketing materials that we think might be of interest to you. You may unsubscribe from receiving marketing emails from us by emailing us at [email protected] or using the unsubscribe link included in the marketing email.
- Enhance your experience. We use your information to personalize and enhance your experience when you use the Services, such as by tailoring content and advertising and remembering your preferences.
- Improve our Services. Your information helps us improve the content and functionality of our Services. For example, we may use our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviors to create new features and content.
- Monitoring Usage and Activities. Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with the Services.
- Prevent Illegal Activities. Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Northwell and others.
- Linkage of Data to Improve Experience. Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with a better experience.
- Other Purposes. Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
In addition to those purposes listed above, we may use your information for any other purpose disclosed to you at the time of collection.
Your choices; interest-based content
We encourage you to communicate your preferences to us about how we use your information.
You may review and request changes to the Personal Information we have collected about you by contacting us at the information included in the Contacting us section below.
We may use third-party service providers to place advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These advertising service providers may collect (through the use of Data Collection Technologies) non-identifiable information about your visits to, and interactions with, our Services. In addition to the information about your visits to our Site, our service providers may also use the information about your visits to other websites to target advertisements for products and services available from us. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices for not having this information used by third-party service providers, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. You may manage your third-party advertising preferences by clicking here.