Northwell Health Imaging at Great South Bay is a full service imaging center conveniently located in Suffolk County, near Imbert Cancer Center and Southside Hospital. The Bohlsen Women’s Imaging Center, located on the second floor of our imaging center, offers a comprehensive range of breast imaging services in a spa-like environment.
For your convenience, our imaging center is open 7 days a week, with early morning and evening appointments available. We accept all major insurances and offer free, convenient parking.
Our Islip imaging center uses state-of-the-art technology and the latest advances in scanning techniques to provide highly precise, accurate images. For tests that use radiation, we use the lowest dose possible to achieve high-quality images.
Your scan will be interpreted by a radiologist with years of experience and training in the imaging technology used and the condition or part of the body being examined. Most of our radiologists focus exclusively on exams in the area of their subspecialty, which sharpens the eye and makes it easier to pick up subtle changes while reducing false positives.
Our imaging services are fully integrated with specialists across Northwell Health. Our precise images, prompt and accurate analysis and ongoing collaboration with your physicians help ensure the most effective treatment plan for every situation.
Our imaging center has been designated by the American College of Radiology as a Center of Excellence in Diagnostic Imaging, a Center of Excellence in Breast Imaging, and as a Lung Cancer Screening Center. We have also been designated as a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance.
Screening and diagnostic imaging services
- MRI scan – Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a diagnostic imaging procedure that uses a combination of a large magnet, radio frequencies and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body. Our imaging center uses a 3.0 Tesla high-field MRI.
- CT scan – A CT scan is a diagnostic imaging procedure that uses a combination of X-rays and computer technology to produce images of the body.
- Lung cancer screening – Lung cancer screening is a regular preventive health check, much like a mammogram or colonoscopy. It is used to test for lung cancer before you have symptoms. Our screening experts are trained in detecting lung cancer in its earliest and most treatable stages—so that they can act before the disease has a chance to spread.
- Ultrasound (Sonogram) – An ultrasound is a noninvasive diagnostic procedure used to assess soft tissue structures such as muscles, blood vessels, and organs.
- X-ray – An X-ray uses electromagnetic energy beams to produce images of internal tissues, bones, and organs.
- Image-guided biopsy – An image-guided biopsy uses imaging technology to take a sample of tissue in order to determine whether it is benign (noncancerous), malignant (cancerous) or infectious.
Breast screening and diagnostic imaging services offered at The Bohlsen Women’s Imaging Center
- Mammogram – A mammogram using 3D technology allows the radiologist to examine breast tissue one layer at a time. This improves the ability to detect abnormalities while reducing false alarms due to overlapping tissue.
- Breast MRI – Breast MRI is a noninvasive imaging technology that uses a large magnet, radio waves and a computer to produce detailed pictures of the breast.
- Breast ultrasound (sonogram) – A breast ultrasound is a noninvasive diagnostic procedure used to evaluate a mass in breast tissue.
- Breast biopsy – A breast biopsy is a procedure that uses imaging technology to remove a sample of cells or tissue from a suspicious area in the breast for examination under a microscope. We offer MRI-guided, stereotactic-guided and ultrasound-guided breast biopsies.
- DEXA scan (bone density test) – A DEXA scan is used to diagnose osteoporosis, a condition in which bones become fragile and brittle.