A cardiac or cardiovascular surgeon focuses on the heart and great vessels (the large blood vessels that bring blood to and from the heart), but when you need a specialist to treat diseases of the lungs, esophagus, chest wall and mediastinum (the area that contains the organs and tissues between the lungs), you would see a thoracic surgeon.
Our thoracic surgeons are experts in minimally invasive and robotic procedures, which means our treatments are very precise and don't require as many incisions (cuts in your body) as traditional surgery. Some of the lung and chest conditions we treat include:
- Diseases, cancers and tumors of the lung, chest wall and esophagus
- Chest reconstruction after major trauma or surgery
- Esophageal reconstruction
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Myasthenia gravis (tired or weak muscles)