The Department of Surgery at Northwell Health offers high quality surgical care for adults and children inpatients and outpatients. Northwell Health has hundreds of surgeons on staff at our more than 15 hospital locations to provide emergency surgical services and elective procedures. The department provides care for complex conditions including cancer and heart conditions, as well as procedures like removal of stones, benign and malignant conditions of the breast, gastrointestinal tract and other parts of the body.
Our surgeons are part of an expansive team of physicians, nurses and other health professional dedicated to taking care of patients. Our renowned physicians are board-certified specialist in their areas of clinical focus and have teaching appointments through the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
The Division of General Surgery provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient surgical care for adult and pediatric patients. Our surgeons are highly skilled in procedures such as breast surgery, colorectal surgery, endocrine surgery, hernia surgery and cancer surgery, as well as liver, bile duct and gallbladder surgery (hepatobiliary surgery).
Patients choose Northwell Health’s general surgery services for:
- The region's top surgeons - Our renowned surgeons are board-certified specialists in their areas of expertise and are well known for their proficiency in a wide range of state-of-the-art surgical procedures.
- Experts in minimally invasive surgery - Our surgeons perform the most advanced minimally invasive surgery. Our patients benefit greatly with shorter hospital stays, less pain, better cosmetic results and faster recovery.
- Laparoscopic surgery uses a viewing tube with a lens or camera inserted through a small incision in the abdomen to examine organs and remove tissue.
- Da Vinci® robotic surgery is the world's most advanced type of minimally invasive surgery. Our surgeons are leading the way in robotic surgery procedures on the liver, spleen, pancreas and GI tract. They also perform robotic cancer surgery and bariatic surgery.
- Clinical excellence - We have the expertise and highly specialized equipment to provide the highest level of care for the most complex hepatobiliary and pancreatic diseases.
Gene Coppa, MD
- Senior Vice President and Executive Director, Surgical Services,
North Shore University Hospital, LIJ Medical Center
Chair and Professor of Surgery,
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile