The Northwell Health Rehabilitation Network sports therapy treatment performance program provides care for athletes. The team of skilled sports therapists uses the latest techniques in core stability and functional training to guide patients back to optimal athletic performance.
Conditions treated in sports therapy include, but are not limited to, spine compression fracture, back pain, bursitis and cervical disc herniation.
The goals of sports therapy are:
- Decrease swelling and pain
- Restore range of motion
- Regain and improve strength and flexibility
- Return to prior level of function, especially sports specific performance
- Enhance core stability and improve athletic movement patterns
- Implement proper training and warm-up to prevent injury/re-injury
Each patient is supported by a team of professional staff that includes licensed physical therapists, physical therapy assistants (certified athletic trainers and strength and conditioning specialists) and certified functional movement screeners. The team members are up-to-date on the current rehabilitative techniques and operative procedures and provide open and continued communication with each patient’s referring physician.
Services that are part of the sports therapy program include: