Temporomandibular joint, often referred to as TMJ, occurs as a result ofdisorders of the joint itself or the surrounding facial muscles that control jaw movement, chewing and speaking. Symptoms present as pain, swelling, clicking, locking and limited mobility of the jaw.
Generally, a multidisciplinary, conservative approach is taken to effectively treat TMJ.
After a thorough initial evaluation by a dentist, a detailed customized physical therapy program may be developed to address the patient’s individual needs. Treatments offered at Northwell Health can include:
- Soft tissue massage of cervical and facial muscles
- Cervical and TMJ mobilizations
- Modalities: ice, heat, ultrasound, electric stimulation, laser
- Therapeutic exercise
- Education on posture and ergonomics
- Instruction in a home exercise program