As a veteran, you have valuable skills and experience—but you may not know exactly how to translate them to the civilian workplace. We're here to help.
To welcome you back to civilian life and to the many exciting opportunities that await you, Northwell Health offers services to assist your transition from the military and to encourage your success as a valuable member of today’s workforce.
We take an integrated and comprehensive approach to hiring, training, promoting and supporting veterans and their families—and, whenever possible, we actively seek to hire qualified veterans, National Guard members, reservists and military spouses.
Barracks to Business Workshops
Barracks to Business workshops are designed to help you understand the job search process and create a strategy to pursue civilian employment while also introducing you to Northwell Health.
The program includes skills such as:
- Writing a resume
- Communicating your military skills in a layperson’s terms
- Analyzing your abilities and thinking about what you want for your future
- Preparing for an interview
Highlights of our recruitment program include:
- Hiring hundreds of veterans in 2015
- Hosting hiring events tailored specifically for veterans
- Receiving the Military Friendly Employer® Award for the second straight year
- Participating in organizations dedicated to retention and career development of veterans in the private sector, including Nassau County’s Welcome Back Warriors Program and the JPMorgan Veteran Jobs Mission
- Establishing the Veteran College Network, which includes 31 colleges and universities
We also offer:
- Pay differential programs for employees who are reservists or members of the National Guard, for qualifying deployments
- Help finding the employment you earned after your military service
- Networking opportunities with our veteran employees and support agencies
- The opportunity to continue making a difference in peoples’ lives, and our communities as you transition to civilian careers
VALOR (Veterans and Allies: Liaisons for Reintegration)
Northwell Health’s commitment to veterans includes a veteran-focused business employee resource group called Veterans and Allies: Liaisons of Reintegration (VALOR). The group, established by Northwell’s Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Literacy, brings employees together who have served or currently serve in the U.S. military, have family members in the armed forces or have a special interest in military and veterans’ affairs.
The goal of VALOR is to give members of the military, veterans, and their families an increased sense of community, and a chance to gain insight from each other and share their experiences. In addition, VALOR helps veterans with employment and getting adequate medical care.
Mentoring and paying it forward
Reintegration can be a tricky process, which is why the VALOR Navigator Program pairs veterans newly hired by Northwell with other members of the health system to help transition into civilian employment and offer general career encouragement. These new employees can, in turn, serve as mentors for future hires.
VALOR also offers opportunities for Northwell employees who served in the armed forces to speak to veterans from local colleges about how to transition their military experiences to the civilian workplace.
Our services also include:
- Outreach to veterans' community and government organizations
- Information on available treatment and services for military veterans and their families
- Sponsorship of educational and fundraising events for existing programs that serve military veterans and their families