Palliative acute pain treatment
Palliative care physicians at Northwell Health help improve patients’ quality of life through pain management known as “acute on chronic” care. That means the staff cares for your new level of pain while taking into account any chronic pain.
The team specializes in treating acute pain through one or more treatment options:
- Physical therapy to improve mobility and reduce pain
- Radiation therapy to reduce tumor size
- Medications including opioids, antidepressants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and medications for neuropathic pain
- Psychosocial pain management such as aromatherapy, Reiki and reflexology
- Support and education for patients and their families
For patients who have acute pain but don’t require hospitalization, there are outpatient palliative care services at two convenient locations:
- The Monter Cancer Center for comprehensive cancer care: Physicians and staff provide pain management and supportive care that complements your cancer treatment.
- The Geriatric Medical Group for specialized care for older adults: The team partners with geriatricians who are board certified in palliative care.