Chronic pain treatment
Because patients with chronic pain often have other medical conditions, they need comprehensive care in addition to their disease treatment. Specialists work with your physicians and surgeons to provide palliative care that complements your medical treatment plan.
The goal is to promote the physical, emotional, social and spiritual aspects of healing. Treatment options for chronic pain include the following:
- Physical therapy to improve mobility and reduce pain
- Pain medications including opioids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and medications for neuropathic pain
- Psychosocial pain management such as aromatherapy, Reiki and reflexology for stress reduction and relaxation
- Treatment for anxiety and depression including medications, psychotherapy and support groups for patients and their families
- Spiritual consulting with nondenominational chaplains certified in palliative care
Physicians and staff at Northwell provide supportive care for patients who have chronic pain that must be managed over months and years. Palliative care services are available at two convenient locations for outpatients:
- The Monter Cancer Center for comprehensive cancer care: Pain management and supportive care complement your cancer treatment.
- The Geriatric Medical Group for specialized care for older adults: Physicians coordinate your care with geriatricians who are board certified in palliative care.