Chronic myofascial pain treatment
CMP adds another level of pain for patients who already suffer from chronic pain. At Northwell Health, palliative care specialists work with your primary care physician or pain specialist to coordinate your care.
It is important to first find the source of the pain. Then, you may need multiple treatments in addition to pain medications to help relieve your symptoms. Treatment options for CMP include the following:
- Physical therapy to improve mobility and strengthen muscles
- Psychosocial care including Reiki, aromatherapy and reflexology to relax muscles
- Treatment for stress, anxiety and depression including psychotherapy and support groups for patients and their families
- Spiritual support from nondenominational chaplains certified in palliative care
- Pain medications including opioids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)