The Northwell Health geriatrics department is committed to providing quality health care to older adults through outpatient and home-based treatment.
Our geriatricians diagnose, treat and manage diseases and conditions that require a special approach when dealing with older adults. Our services focus on promoting wellness and improvement of daily functioning, particularly for patients with balance issues, incontinence, cerebrovascular disease, dementia, sensory impairment and other cognitive changes that occur with aging.
Geriatrics is the subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with the health and well-being of older adults. Geriatricians diagnose, treat and manage diseases and conditions that require a special approach when dealing with the aging.
Patients choose Northwell Health's geriatric services for:
- Special Program for Adults 65 & Over
The Geriatric Medical Group in Lake Success, NY, is devoted to caring for the complex emotional and physical needs of adults 65 years of age and older.
- Interdisciplinary Team of Geriatric Specialists
Patients are evaluated, tested and diagnosed by experienced professionals who work with the elderly every day. A customized treatment plan is developed for each patient.
- Memory Disorders Program
Our multidisciplinary geriatrics team assesses and treats cognitive dysfunction such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease, as well as memory disorders that can be reversible.
- Home Visit Program for Select Patients
Our geriatric specialist will come to your home if you are unable to come to us.
- Option of Choosing Geriatric Physician
Your primary physician may refer you, but you can choose your geriatric physician and make an appointment directly. Visits are usually covered by Medicare.
- Geriatric Psychiatry Services
Specialty programs - both inpatient and outpatient - are available for seniors through behavioral health services.
Maria Torroella Carney, MD
- Chief of Division - Geriatric and Palliative Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Chief of Division - Geriatric and Palliative Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, North Shore University Hospital
- Associate Professor, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile