Diabetes wellness programs
Participants of Northwell Health’s Education and Disease Management Programs benefit from the latest treatments and educational resources. Through our specially trained team of nurse practitioners, registered nurses and registered dietitians, we provide health and lifestyle assistance and support to those living with diabetes, pre-diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, COPD, kidney disease, heart disease and other conditions. Nutrition and weight management education is also available.
Programs and services we offer include:
- Diabetes Wellness Program
- Gestational Diabetes Program
- Nutrition Program
- Weight Management Program
- Diabetes Disease Management and Care Coordination Program
- Healthy Living Workshops
Our programs are available in facilities throughout Nassau, Suffolk and Queens.
Free interpretation and sign language services are available and can be arranged when an appointment is being scheduled.
To schedule an appointment, or for more information, call (855) 36-GOALS (6257) or email [email protected].
The Diabetes Wellness Program is accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and offers the tools needed to help those living with diabetes to manage their illness and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
All patients will have a one-on-one, in-person appointment followed by either one-on-one or group sessions.
You will learn how to:
- Cope with diabetes
- Eat healthy
- Be active
- Monitor sugar levels
- Take medication(s)
The Gestational Diabetes Program consists of one-on-one sessions with a diabetes educator.
You will learn about:
- Gestational diabetes
- Checking your glucose levels
- Eating healthy
- Taking your medication(s)
- What to do and expect after you deliver your baby
Our gestational diabetes provider will work closely with your OB/GYN and endocrinologist to assess your blood sugar control and manage your diabetes medications.
The programs are accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators. Certified Diabetes Educators teach all classes. These educators are nurses, nurse practitioners, registered dieticians or pharmacists who have been specially trained to help people living with diabetes.
Individual and group appointments are available throughout Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Manhattan. Participants may bring a support person when they attend a class.
If you have a chronic condition such as arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease or anxiety, you can participate in the Healthy Living Workshop, a six-week workshop designed to teach you how to manage your condition.
Through the program, you will learn how to:
- Feel better
- Manage pain and stress
- Feel less tired
- Deal with anger, depression and other emotions
- Take control
- Understand your treatments better so you can make informed decisions about treatment options
- Make health-related decisions and solve problems
- Communicate better with family, friends and healthcare professionals
- Live healthy
- Eat healthy
- Create an exercise plan you can manage
Our Nutrition Program begins with a one-on-one, in-person appointment with one of our registered dietitians addressing your specific health issue, followed by group follow-up appointments and/or enrollment in a Healthy Living Workshop.
Our Weight Management services help participants achieve weight loss goals and make healthy lifestyle changes.
Our registered dietitians will help you create an individualized weight loss plan and offer tips on being more active and dealing with stress.
For eligible patients with difficult to manage diabetes, we offer special services provided by a nurse disease manager to work with you and your doctor to help you better control your diabetes. This program consists of both face-to-face and telephonic visits and includes:
- Personalized care
- Easy, frequent contact with our team
- Clinical assessments by a diabetes specialist
- Medication management, in collaboration with your primary care provider
- Frequent calls from your diabetes specialist
- Visits at home, office and by telephone
- Someone to make appointments for you
- Assistance with transportation to appointments
- In-hospital visits from your healthcare provider if you are hospitalized
- Glucometer, if needed
Our team consists of nurse practitioners, registered nurses and registered dietitians who are specially trained in diabetes, chronic disease and weight management.
Most health insurance plans cover our services. Please note that coverage varies by plan, so we recommend that you contact your insurance carrier to determine coverage.
We offer special assistance to those who do not have health insurance.
For more information, call (855) 36-GOALS (46257) or email [email protected].