Heart disease prevention
The thought of heart disease can be frightening, and understanding a medical condition can be difficult. But you can prevent and combat the condition by knowing your numbers and accessing the right care at the right time.
Because heart disease can affect anyone at any age, it’s important to know your body. That’s the basis of preventive cardiology, a scientific and medical way to identify heart health risks and prevent them from worsening.
You can begin your journey to a healthier heart here, by selecting a cardiologist who understands your medical history and can develop a treatment plan specifically for you.
Our cardiologists work with other specialists to provide comprehensive care to our patients. Depending on your needs, we may also have you see specialists from other areas, including:
- Imaging (radiology)
- Home care
- Women's health
Why choose us?
We want to be your partners in care. We specialize in early detection, treatment and prevention of heart disease. Our staff of renowned cardiologists and healthcare professionals provides a full range of state-of-the-art preventive cardiology services designed to:
- Prevent the occurrence and/or progression of cardiovascular diseases
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack or stroke
- Reduce the need for cardiac surgery
- Provide comprehensive heart disease risk assessment and treatment options including nutritional assessment, lifestyle counseling and, when necessary, medication or other interventions to improve overall health.
We understand that no two people are alike, which is why our experts are constantly performing research to enhance care for women, children and diverse groups of people.
Our specialized heart programs include:
- Women’s heart health
- Heart disease, a leading cause of death in the U.S., affects women differently than men. Early detection and prevention are crucial. That’s why our physicians created a comprehensive heart health program specifically for women.
- We work closely with you to analyze your medical history and current health to determine any possible risk factors. Your doctor will work closely with a team of health professionals including nutritionists and nurse practitioners.
- Visit the Katz Institute for Women’s Health to learn how you can prevent or treat heart disease in our comprehensive cardiac care program.
- Pediatric preventive cardiology
- Our pediatric cardiologists and pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons work closely with pediatric intensivists, neonatologists and pediatric anesthesiologists to provide your child the multidisciplinary care he or she may need.
Our staff will use the most thorough (yet least invasive) methods to evaluate your child's condition and reduce possible risks. We have pediatric cardiologists from leading pediatric cardiology centers around the country to allow us to continue to provide cutting-edge technology for the care of your child.
Visit our children’s heart center at Cohen Children’s Medical Center to learn more about pediatric preventive cardiology and healthy habits.
Our preventive cardiology staff hosts free educational services to promote heart health awareness and to help our community combat heart disease.
Our healthcare team meets with members of the community to discuss the importance of preventive cardiology and answer questions. Discussion topics include:
- How to lower your cholesterol
- What your blood pressure numbers mean
- What you can do to maintain a healthy heart
Free blood-pressure screening and personal consultations/evaluations are also available depending on the location.
To arrange a customized screening or lecture program in your community, call (516) 554-0034 or (855) 432-7811.