Northwell Health continues to build a rich history of advancing cardiac surgery through clinical expertise and novel treatments. Recognized nationally for delivering extraordinary patient-centered care, the multidisciplinary clinical staff has worked diligently to provide exceptional services that translate to superior outcomes.
This unparalleled regional achievement is possible through the system’s exclusive partnerships, multiple facilities, and physicians, ongoing research, and improvements to treatments.
The Northwell Health cardiac clinical staff, a multidisciplinary network of experts, focuses on driving superior results through evidence-based treatments, improving quality, ongoing research and personalized care. More than 2,000 cardiothoracic surgeries system wide caseloads each year – comparable to many of the nation’s leading cardiac programs, with mortality rates among the lowest in New York State
- We have an alliance with the Cleveland Clinic Cardiovascular Network, a group of high-performing heart care providers who must meet the highest standards of quality. We were selected after a year-long, operational assessment of its cardiology, cardiac surgery and electrophysiology programs and services. Learn more about this alliance.
- We receive consistent recognition for significantly better outcomes by the New York State Department of Health.
- Northwell Health receives accreditation and certification for heart care from the Joint Commission, recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards.
State-of-the-art facilities and procedures
- We are a leader in the treatment of aortic valve disease, offering patients advanced procedures that are only available at experienced tertiary hospitals. Given the success of the TAVR program, the manufacturers of the devices have designated several physicians as national proctors.
- State-of-the-art hybrid operating rooms allow cardiac and vascular surgeons to integrate services with endovascular trauma and interventional cardiologists for complex cases. Patients can receive treatment from multiple specialists in a single operating room.
- Our clinical experts use some of the latest in minimally-invasive techniques to allow for quicker recovery and reduced risk of infection.
- Advanced nuclear stress cameras that reduce scan times and radiation exposure by at least 50 percent. This technology helps physicians accurately diagnose a condition and provide the best treatment available.
Northwell Health believes in the spirit of teamwork including forging alliances with national leaders in cardiac care to gain access to exclusive clinical trials and novel research. Learn why Cleveland Clinic choose the evidence-based treatments of North Shore University Hospital for the Cardiovascular Specialty Network.
Alan Hartman, MD
- Senior Vice President and Executive Director, Cardiothoracic Services,
Chair, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery,
Northwell Health and Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile