The cancer rehabilitation program at Northwell Health Rehabilitation Network provides patients with results-oriented, comprehensive rehabilitation services across every level of care. The goals are to maximize patient independence, increase function and improve quality of life following the effects of cancer and its treatments. The specialty trained physiatrists (rehabilitation physicians) will develop a thorough plan focused on each patient’s specific needs.
Types of cancer treated include:
- Head and neck cancers
- Spinal tumors
- Brain tumors
- Breast cancer
Cancer rehabilitation is a physician-supervised program tailored individually to each patient’s needs. The rehabilitation team works with each patient to design a treatment program and set goals that specifically fit their needs — all supervised by a physiatrist.
The rehabilitation team includes:
- Physiatrists are physicians, with expertise in the care of all forms of physical disability and lead the rehabilitation team.
- Physical therapists are dedicated to working with patients to improve their ability to walk, get in and out of bed, improve balance and increase strength.
- Occupational therapists help maximize patient independence with activities such as dressing, bathing, grooming and eating.
- Speech-language pathologists to work with patients to improve communication skills, reading comprehension, word finding, listening, vocal volume and swallowing.
- Certified lymphedema therapists help treat and minimize swelling and pain that may be the result of surgery or radiation.