Northwell Health Rehabilitation Network offers aquatic therapy at the aquatic center located at STARS East Meadow. The aquatic center houses a custom-designed, multi-level heated pool with specialty strengthening equipment.
Aquatic therapy at Northwell Health Rehabilitation Network has many special features for patients, including individualized attention, a motivating environment, private handicapped accessible shower and locker rooms and convenient hours of availability. A post-rehab and wellness aquatic therapy program is also available
Benefits of aquatic therapy include:
- Reduces forces for early weight-bearing and pain relief
- Promotes relaxation of muscle spasms
- Minimizes disuse muscle atrophy for those with limited weight-bearing
- Decreases pain of inflamed joint and soft tissue restrictions
- Improves balance, truck stability and body awareness
- Restores confidence for movement and function
Conditions that can benefit from aquatic therapy are:
- Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis
- Lower extremity joint replacement or fractures
- Lower back pain
- Trauma and sports injuries
- Difficulty walking/balance deficits
The aquatic classes are performed in partnership with the Arthritis Foundation. The Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program allows patients to exercise without putting excess strain on joints and muscles. The gentle activities in warm water, with guidance from a trained instructor, will help participants gain strength and flexibility. Classes are 45 minutes long and cost is $5 per class. For more information, please call Rose Markovitz, PTA at (516) 393-8900.
Patients also have the ability to combine aquatic therapy with traditional rehabilitation therapy, if appropriate.