There’s so much to consider when it comes to your family’s health care. You look for innovative, state-of-the-art medical techniques performed by renowned physicians, and rightly so - but you also want personalized, compassionate care and the assurance that your well-being truly matters. And you don’t want to travel far to get it.
Staten Island University Hospital has it all: world-class health care right where you need it. Our campuses offer the leading-edge medical care you’d expect from a major metropolitan hospital with a unique, community-based atmosphere.
What began as a one-room infirmary more than 150 years ago has grown to become a 714-bed teaching hospital that spans two campuses, providing a vast array of services in health and wellness. Our 17-acre North campus houses Staten Island’s most modern emergency department, a state-of-the-art education center, and a medical arts pavilion. Our South campus boasts its own emergency department and offers a range of specialty programs, including geriatric psychiatry, behavioral health and substance abuse services.
As healthcare options in this country grow, we lead the charge with highly specialized units including:
- The Heart Institute
- The Institute for Cancer and Blood-Related Diseases
- The Regional Burn Center
- The Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center
- The Center for Bariatric Surgery
- The Institute of Sleep Medicine
- The Level III Perinatal Center
- The New York Head & Neck Institute
- The Stroke Center
As part of the Northwell Health network of providers, Staten Island University Hospital has access to the wealth of resources and services of New York's largest health system, while remaining firmly entrenched and engaged in our local community. Our team takes great pride in the work we do to teach and train as we seek out new and better ways to prevent and treat disease. And we never forget that our first commitment is to you - the individuals whose lives we touch each day.
In 2015, Staten Island University Hospital received its fourth Top Performer award designated by the Joint Commission. In 2014, Staten Island University Hospital was also awarded full accreditation for the next three years by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
In 2013, we were re-awarded the lead agency contract to manage and oversee the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) Cancer Services Program of Staten Island during the 2013-2018 grant periods. Our Cancer Service Program offers comprehensive breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening, as well as education and diagnostic services to eligible uninsured and underinsured Staten Island residents.
The Joint Commission also recognized Staten Island University Hospital in 2013 for exemplary performance in heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care. The National Research Corporation, which specializes in healthcare performance measurement and improvement, awarded Staten Island University Hospital with the Consumer Choice Award. We were one of only 15 hospitals to receive this award in New York state.
Staten Island University Hospital was named by the American College of Radiology as a Diagnostic Center of Excellence. The hospital overall received Leapfrog Group A Rating for quality of care.
We offer the following programs and initiatives:
- Health fairs and disease screening events conducted throughout the year, including events with the New York City Housing Authority and the New York City Department of Education
- A Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), which provides nutritional guidance and counseling for new mothers and mothers of young children, with approximately 4,500 enrolled clients at any given time
- Emergency preparedness initiatives conducted with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Fire Department of New York
Staten Island University Hospital is a:
- Liaison with the College of Staten Island to apply for, and participate in, medical research grants
- Co-leader of the Staten Island Performing Provider System (SI PPS), part of the New York State Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) program
- Co-sponsor of the Staten Island Economic Development Corporation (SIEDC) Health and Wellness Expo
- Mark Claster - Chairman of the Board, Northwell Health
- Frank J. Besignano - Chairman, SI Regional Council
- John W. Alexander - Vice Chairman, SI Regional Council
- Roger E. Acker - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital
- Stanley Applebaum - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital
- Michael Caridi - Member
- Robert Chasanoff - Member
- Alan Chopp - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital
- William J. Fritz - Member
- Gary M. Geresi - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital
- J. Joaquin Gonzalez - Member
- Laura Lauria - Member
- David W. Lehr - Member
- Linda Manfredi - Member
- Ronald J. Mazzucco - Member
- Patrick F. McDermott - Member
- Edward Messier - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital
- Ralph Nappi - Member
- Frank P. Patafio - Member
- John M. Shall - Member
- Paula Dunn Tropello - Member
- Frederick Volk - Honorary Trustee, SI University Hospital