Emergency Department at Staten Island University Hospital South
Staten Island, New York 10309
Staten Island University Hospital is a 714-bed tertiary care medical center with two campuses on the north and south shores of Staten Island. Our facilities provide a comprehensive array of programs and services to patients from Staten Island, the New York City metropolitan area and around the world.
As designated tertiary care centers, our Emergency Medicine Departments care for the most complicated cases, as well as routine emergency and urgent care patients. Our facilities are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We offer a wide variety of tertiary care programs including a Burn Unit, Cardiac Surgery service, Stroke Center of Excellence and a Cardiac Catheterization service.
- Staffed by board-certified emergency physicians – Our Emergency Department is staffed by board-certified/ board-eligible emergency physicians, dedicated emergency medicine nurses and certified physician assistants 24 hours a day.
- Stroke center certified by New York state – Staten Island University Hospital is one of 11 hospitals within Northwell Health to receive the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Quality Achievement Awards. The awards recognize the hospitals' commitment and successes in implementing a higher standard of stroke care to ensure that stroke patients receive treatment in accordance with the latest evidence-based guidelines. Staten Island University Hospital was recognized for achieving 85 percent or higher adherence to all Stroke Performance indicators for 12 consecutive months and received the 2011 Gold Plus Award.
- 911 receiving hospital – The Emergency Department is a 911 receiving hospital for both FDNY and voluntary ambulance services.
- Urgent care fast-track area – This fast-track unit at Staten Island University Hospital's Emergency Medicine Department allows patients with minor illnesses or injuries to be treated rapidly in an environment appropriate to the severity of their illness. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, our 7-bed unit is staffed by an attending emergency physician and by attending doctors, residents, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
- Academic tertiary care center – This designation means that you can expect the highest quality emergency care available from experts who are renowned in their field. The Emergency Department has an academic affiliation with the SUNY Downstate Medical Center and is home to an ACGME accredited Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Our physicians participate in scholarly research activities, teach at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell and provide supervision for doctors in training (residents).
- Emergency department observation unit – In August 2012, we opened an advanced emergency observation unit for patients who require extended care that does not necessitate a prolonged inpatient hospital admission