We hope to make your visit to Southside as comfortable as possible for patients, family members and friends. The following guidelines may be helpful:
- Visitors are welcome at any time during the patient’s stay.
- Visitors may stay with a family member or friend who is being treated in:
- Emergency Department
- Outpatient Services
- Ambulatory Surgery
- Patients can choose who can and cannot visit them while they are in our healthcare facility without regard to legal relationship, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
- Limits on visiting must be:
- Based on the patient’s medical condition
- Explained to patients and their chosen support persons and/or representative
Reasons for limiting visitation may include the following:
- The patient requests restrictions or time limits for visiting.
- There are safety concerns, such as risk of infection.
- Visiting interferes with the care of other patients, including the need for their rest and privacy.
- A visitor has an current court order that restricts contact with the patient.
- A visitor becomes disruptive, threatening or violent.
- The patient is in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program that requires limited visiting.
Visits from Children
- Children are welcome to visit a family member, but those under the age of 16 should be supervised by a responsible adult during their visit.
- Young children are expected to stay with a responsible adult who is supervising them to ensure a safe and restful environment for the patient and other patient(s) sharing the room.
- There are no age restrictions for visiting children, but supervising adults are encouraged to keep their visit brief.
Security at Southside Hospital
Our security guidelines for visiting someone in the hospital are as follows:
- All visitors must show a photo ID when they enter Southside Hospital.
- Visitors with a photo ID will be given a visitor’s pass and may proceed to visit their family member or friend.
- Visitors without a photo ID must check in with security:
- Their information and photo will be taken via “Fast Pass.”
- They will then be issued a visitor’s pass with their photo to wear while in the
- Visitors to the ICU will be given a laminated visitor’s pass.
- Any visitors who choose not to provide a photo ID or have a Fast Pass made will not be permitted access to the hospital.
- Please return all passes to the Patient Information Department before you leave the hospital. hospital.
As patients go through the healing process, religious and spiritual belief can be important for recovery. Southside’s Interfaith Pastoral Care Program has clergy from various denominations and religions along with specially trained volunteers.
Pastoral Care volunteers may visit you during your stay at Southside. They will contact one of our chaplains or your parish priest, minister or rabbi if you wish.
Here’s how you can connect with one of our chaplains:
- Call the Pastoral Care office at (631) 968-3484.
- Ask your nurse to contact the office.
Meditation Room and Chapel
Southside has a chapel and a meditation room that are open around the clock.
- The Meditation Room is near the main lobby.
- The Chapel is on the first floor.
- A brief prayer service is held each Sunday at 10:30 a.m. in the chapel on the first floor.
- After the prayer service, Eucharistic Ministers visit our Catholic patients to offer the Sacrament of Holy Communion.
Southside has healthy options if you need refreshments while you’re visiting. The cafeteria is located on the first floor. The cafeteria is open seven days from 6:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. Menus are available for selection. There is a 24-hour vending area adjacent to the cafeteria as well.
- Harvest Café: The Harvest Cafe is also on the first floor, located in the main lobby of the hospital. It is opened Monday thru Friday from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. We are a self-serve coffee bar that proudly serves Starbucks Coffee.
- Cafeteria: Our cafeteria is located on the first floor and is open daily from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. It serves a variety of food and beverages:
- Hearty breakfasts
- Soups and sandwiches
- Hot and cold dishes
- 24-hour vending machines nearby
- Coffee Bar: The Harvest Café, a self-service coffee bar, is on the first floor in the main lobby. It is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and serves Starbucks coffee.
Lost and Found
If you lose or find anything while at Southside, you may contact our Security Department, which operates the hospital’s Lost and Found.
- The front desk personnel in the main lobby can direct you to the Lost and Found.
- Contact the Security Department regarding lost and found items at (631) 968-3300.
The Volunteers at Southside Hospital operate the gift shop near the main lobby. We offer a full selection including:
- Flowers and cards
- Candy and balloons
- Gifts and plants
- Newspapers, magazines, books and stationery
Call the gift shop at (631) 968-3095 for further information. The gift shop is located just beyond the main lobby next to Au Bon Pain café. Hours of operation are:
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.