The team at Southside Hospital is dedicated to superior patient care delivered with compassion. Your hospital stay should be as safe and comfortable as possible. Learn more about Southside’s amenities.
About your room
Southside Hospital offers private and semi-private rooms, all nonsmoking. Rooms are assigned to patients as they become available. If a patient request a private room, a Patient Access Services Representative will review any additional cost details with you before assigning the room to you.
For your comfort, you may adjust your room’s temperature with the unit located below the window. The remote control devices that are accessible from your bed allow you to:
- Raise or lower the lights over your headboard
- Control your TV
- Change the position of your bed
- Call your nurse
While you are a patient here, we recommend the following:
- Please do not get out of bed by yourself or leave your room without your doctor’s permission.
- If you do get out of bed, first make sure the bed is in the lowest position.
- If you leave your room, please let the nursing staff know where you are.
- Please do not leave the unit unless you are with a staff member.
- Patients whose heart activity is being monitored through telemetry must remain on their unit. The technology will stop working if you leave the unit.
- Please do not get in or out of a wheelchair without help. Be sure that the brakes are locked when you are getting in or out of the wheelchair.
For our patients’ entertainment, we offer television service at a reasonable rate. To learn more and order service, call (631) 968-3874 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TV service includes:
- Basic and premium cable channels
- All closed-captioned programming for the hearing impaired
- Free hospital information, education and relaxation videos on demand through pCare
Personal Items for Patients
Each patient will have a small, unlocked area to store personal items. Because Southside cannot be responsible for personal belongings, we recommend the following safeguards:
- We strongly encourage you to leave your valuables at home, including jewelry, credit cards and cash. Please do not keep these items in your room.
- If you need to keep personal items such as dentures, eyeglasses or custom appliances, with you, please make sure that your nurse or caregivers know that you have these items so they can be safeguarded.
- The hospital cannot be responsible for any valuables that are kept in your room.
If you lose something, please notify your nurse right away, and we will make every effort to help you find it. Unclaimed articles are turned in to the Security Department, where they are kept for 30 days. To inquire about lost items, please contact our Security Department at (631) 968-3300.
Use of electrical appliances
You may use only battery-operated devices in your room. Electrical appliances are not permitted, including:
- Electric razors
- Hair dryers
- TVs, other than the one that is installed
Nutrition is important to the healing process. We offer a variety of high-quality food selections to provide you with the nutrients you need in the appropriate quantities. Options for your meals include:
- Restaurant-style menu with extensive choices (based on prescribed diet order) offered daily for the same day’s lunch and dinner meal selections and breakfast selections for the next day.
- Kosher, halal and vegetarian options available by request. Please inform your server or unit staff of any food preferences, intolerances or allergies.
- Clinical nutrition services available by request or as deemed necessary by your provider or nurse
Your physician has ordered a diet for you based on your medical needs. Our Nutrition and Food Service staff may need to change your meal choices to meet this order. Your time of admission, scheduled medical procedures and restricted diet will determine when and what types of meals you may order.
Tell the nursing staff or call the Nutrition and Food Service Department at (631) 968-3594 if you have any food allergies or special needs. A member of our staff will visit you to discuss any religious, cultural or ethnic preferences. At Southside, we make every effort to accommodate your wishes as well as your physician’s orders.
After your discharge from the hospital, a registered dietitian may advise you on the appropriate dietary measures you will need. Based on your physician’s orders, you may also receive written materials to follow during your recovery period at home.
Language and Communications Access
Southside Hospital is committed to supporting the language needs of all patients during their visit. In order to meet patients’ medical needs and service expectations, we provide 24/7 access to more than 180 languages using telephonic interpreters. Services for the deaf and hearing impaired are also available.
Learn more about our Language and Communication Access Services Program.
Private nursing services
At Southside Hospital, we provide you with the medical attention and nursing care you need to ensure a rapid and safe recovery through private nursing services. For your added comfort and convenience, you may decide to supplement our services with your own private nurse.
Registered Nurses and Certified Nurse Assistants from Northwell Health Staffing Services provide one-on-one professional care dedicated exclusively to your recovery. You can get help with personal hygiene, feeding, mobility, companionship and communication with hospital personnel. Call (866) 831-2206 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or read more about our services.
Home Health Care Services
Whether you need a nurse, therapist, other medical professionals or just a little help with personal care, we can bring high-quality, specialized care to you in the comfort of your home. Our home health care services, offering care in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Staten Island and the New York metropolitan area, provides a network of caring professionals dedicated to helping you achieve a complete recovery. The Northwell Health Home Care Network provides a broad range of home care services for all patients, from infants to the elderly. Our services include:
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Speech and language pathology
- Wound and skin specialists
- Social work
- Home health aides
Services may be covered through Medicare, Medicaid and Managed Care insurance plans. Private pay home aide services are also available. To learn more about our range of services, please call (866) 651-4200 or read more about Home Health Care.
Free Senior Telephone Helpline (Senior Navigator)
Need help navigating the maze of services available as you or a loved one gets older? The Senior Navigator program is a free information, referral and assistance center designed to help seniors and their families find and access services. A team of professional social workers and trained volunteers are here to provide you with support, comfort, information and guidance. Call (888) 243-6272 or read more about senior navigator services.
Your health care is our priority. To determine where improvements are needed, we participate in the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Health Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey. The HCAHPS survey measures your satisfaction with the quality of your care. It is a standardized tool for measuring and reporting satisfaction across all hospitals in the U.S.
HCAHPS makes survey results public so hospitals are aware of where changes are needed. The results also enable health care consumers to review and compare hospitals before choosing a health care provider.
After you are released from the hospital, you may be selected to participate in the HCAHPS survey. The survey asks questions about your hospital stay. Please take the time to fill out the HCAHPS survey—your feedback is valuable.
Every patient has the right to receive treatment without discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression or disability, in addition to other important rights. Learn more about your rights as a patient here.
Our billing department can be reached at (631) 719-2200.