Pulmonary Physiology Laboratory at Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, New York 10075
The Pulmonary Laboratory at Lenox Hill Hospital provides specialized assessments of respiratory function like shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, asthma and chronic lung disease. The laboratory, a part of the Lenox Hill Hospital Division of Pulmonary Medicine, specializes in the evaluation of cycling, air travel, scuba diving, mountain climbing and general fitness.
Lenox Hill Hospital recently renovated the laboratory into a modern space equipped with the latest treatment equipment. In addition to diagnostic testing, the laboratory is actively involved in research related to health and disease.
The laboratory provides pulmonary function exams, a series of tests that measure lung function. The tests provide information about the amount of air a person’s lungs can hold and how effectively the lungs work. A pulmonary function test may be performed on a person who has shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
The test can be used to diagnose respiratory conditions, including the following:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (including chronic bronchitis and emphysema)
- Abnormal blood flow to the lungs (including pulmonary hypertension)
- Reactive airway disease (such as asthma)
- Other respiratory diseases
- Preoperative risk assessment, screening for smokers and chemotherapy toxicity
- Evaluation of exercise capacity and conditioning
Standard testing includes:
- Diffusion capacity
- Lung volumes by plethysmography or nitrogen washout
- Maximum voluntary ventilation, maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures
- Arterial blood gas analysis, pulse oximetry before and after exercise
- Airway resistance impulse oscillometry or plethysmopraphy
Specialized testing includes:
- Airway hyperreactivity evaluation with exercise, cold air or methacholine
- Cardiopulmonary stress tests for fitness and diagnostic evaluation
- Disability evaluations
- Nutritional assessment with a metabolic cart
- Pulmonary function testing consultation
- Oxygen dosage determinations
- Air travel evaluation for shortness of breath
- Respiratory drive, P100 with and without Co2
We also offer specialized testing for a variety of more unusual or elaborate conditions.