At Plainview Hospital, we welcome all visitors. We are glad when our patients receive visitors and want to make these visits as comfortable as possible for both the visitor and the patient. Here are some guidelines that will make visits helpful to family members or friends:
- Visitors are welcome at any time during the patient’s stay
- Visitors are also welcome to stay with a family member or friend when they are in the hospital’s Emergency Department, or are here for outpatient services or Ambulatory Surgery
- Patients can choose who can and cannot visit them while they are in our healthcare facility without regard to legal relationship, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
- Limits on visiting must be reasonable and based on the patient’s medical condition, and will be explained to the patient and to you
Reasons for restricting visitors may include, but are not limited to:
- The patient requests restrictions or limitations
- There are safety concerns, such as risk of infection
- Visiting interferes with the care of other patients, including the need for their rest and/or privacy
- An existing court order that restricts contact
- Visitors are disruptive, threatening or violent
- The patient is in a substance abuse/mental health treatment program that requires limited visiting
Visits from children
Children are welcome to visit a family member, but those under the age of 16 should be supervised by a responsible adult during their visit. Young children are expected to stay with an adult who is responsible for supervising them to ensure a safe and restful environment for the patient, and any other patient(s) sharing their room. Younger children are not excluded by age, but supervising adults are encouraged to keep their visit brief.
As patients go through the healing process, religious and spiritual belief can be important. Plainview’s non-denominational Pastoral Care Program helps patients and families cope with the stress of illness during their hospital stay.
Here’s how you can connect with one of our chaplains:
- Call the admitting office at (516) 719-2285.
- Ask your nurse to contact the office.
Visitors are welcome to use the cafeteria located in the basement off the main elevator. The cafeteria is open weekdays 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. for breakfast, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. for lunch and 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. for dinner. Vending machines located in the cafeteria are available at all times.
If you lose or find anything while at Plainview, you may contact our Environmental Services Department, which operates the hospital’s lost and found.
- Contact the Security Department regarding lost and found items at (516) 719-2253
- The front desk personnel in the main lobby can direct you to the lost and found
The gift shop is located in the Desi Lou Deli and sells a variety of toiletries, cards, candy, stationary and a wide array of gift items. Newspapers, magazines and books are available for sale.
Call the gift shop at (516) 719-2450 for more information.