Scientists and clinicians within the Northwell Health are working together to investigate the causes, effects and treatments of various rehabilitation-related diseases.
The Northwell Health Rehabilitation Network strives to promote participation of its faculty and staff at all levels and across the continuum of care in physical medicine and rehabilitation-related academic research, which has the goal of creating new knowledge in the field.
To facilitate participation in research, the network has strong interactions with the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research and multi-disciplinary collaborations with faculty in other departments within the Northwell Health, as well as at other institutions. Ongoing studies include studies of inflammation in traumatic spinal cord injury and the use of robots to facilitate stroke rehabilitation.
Members of the faculty have published articles, book chapters and books in diverse areas of expertise including spinal cord injury, stroke, concussion, and traumatic brain injury. Faculty members also serve on numerous editorial boards and play leadership roles in national professional organizations.
Below is a listing of recent publications by the network’s physicians:
- Weber KT, Alipui DO, Sison C, Bloom O, Quraishi S, Overby C, Levine M, Chahine N. Serum levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-6 vary based on diagnoses in individuals with lumbar intervertebral disc diseases. Arthritis Research and Therapy2016 Jan 7;18(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s13075-015-0887-8
- Thickbroom G, Cortes M, Rykman A, Volpe BT, Fregni F, Krebs HI, Pascual-Leone A, Edwards D. Stroke subtype and motor impairment influence contralesional excitability. Neurology. 2015 Aug 11;85(6):517-20. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000001828. Epub 2015 Jul 17. PubMed PMID: 26187228; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4540249.
- Trinh K, Gharibo C, Aydin S. Inadvertent Intra-Discal Injection with TFESI Utilizing Kaman’s Retrodiscal Approach in the Treatment of Acute Lumbar Radiculopathy. Pain Practice, Volume 16, Issue 4, E70-E73, 2016
- Papatheodorou A, Stein A, Bank M, Sison C, Gibbs K, Davies P, Bloom, O. High-Mobility Group Box 1 (HMGB1) is Elevated Systemically in Persons with Acute or Chronic Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury, Journal of Neurotrauma, 2016 Sept. 27 PMID: 27673428
- VanPatten S, Sun S, He M, Cheng KF, Altiti A, Papatheodorou A, Kowal C, Jeganathan V, Crawford J, Bloom O, Volpe B, Grant C, Meurice N, Coleman T, Diamond B, Al-Abed, Y. Amending HIV drugs: a novel small-molecule approach to target lupus anti-DNA antibodies. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2016. Oct. 13; 59(19) 8859-8867 PMID: 27603688
- Manchikanti L., Aydin SM, et al. Responsible, Safe, and Effective Prescriptions of Opioids for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) Guidelines. Pain