Northwell Health Orthopaedic Institute at Southside Hospital
Bay Shore, NY 11706
Welcome to Orthopaedics at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, New York. Our department is part of an extensive network of world-class orthopaedic resources available through the Orthopaedic Institute at Northwell Health. Our orthopaedic physicians offer unparalleled expertise in general orthopaedic surgery as well as highly specialized surgical procedures. A collaborative care approach, built on developing and maintaining a strong relationship with your referring physician, is a critical part of our ability to provide patient treatment strategies for the best possible outcomes.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach
Orthopaedics at Southside Hospital is truly a team effort with the most accomplished medical professionals from across Long Island and New York City working together. Our mission is to provide the highest quality patient care by using state-of-the art technology in a compassionate, supportive atmosphere. Our physicians have unparalleled knowledge and skills in their particular areas of specialization. Fred Cushner, MD, Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery in Southside Hospital's Division of Surgery was recognized as one of Castle Connolly's Top 100 Orthopaedic Surgeons in America for 2011.
Living Life to the Fullest
Everything we do as orthopaedic specialists at Southside Hospital is designed to eliminate our patients' chronic pain and disabilities and help them regain mobility and return to active, fulfilling lifestyles.
Register for Pre Op Class
FREE joint replacement education class for anyone interested in learning more about joint replacement for those who are scheduled to undergo joint replacement surgery.
Classes will address your pre surgery, post surgery and rehabilitation needs. The class will prepare you, your family and home for this “joint” adventure. Our team of dedicated professionals will answer your questions and provide education during this presentation and are available during your hospital stay. Planning ahead can help ensure a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.
For patient convenience, we coordinate the joint class with your pre-surgical testing appointment. Contact Laura Young, Orthopaedic Nurse Manager email@example.com or (631) 968-3701.
Comprehensive Orthopaedic Services
Our nationally recognized physicians are often fellowship-trained in a wide spectrum of orthopaedic specialties:
- Hand and Upper Extremity – Our hand surgeons deal with problems of the hand, wrist and forearms and, often, the shoulder and elbow.
- Hip – Hip surgeons are experts at diagnosing and treating hip diseases such as osteoarthritis and hip fractures. Treatments include total and partial joint replacement.
- Knee – Knee diseases such as ligament injuries, meniscus (torn cartilage) and miscellaneous knee problems are diagnosed and treated by experienced knee surgeons. Treatments include total and partial joint replacement.
- Spine – Our spine surgeons are physicians who receive special training in the diagnosis and treatment of problems with the neck (cervical spine), mid back (thoracic spine) and low back (lumbar spine).
- Sports Medicine – Surgeons with subspecialty training in sports medicine, particularly the shoulder and knee, are skilled in minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures that can restore motion and return function for athletes. Common conditions treated are ACL tears of the knee and rotator cuff tears of the shoulder.
- Revision Surgery – The average lifespan of the prosthesis used in joint replacement surgery is 10 years. Revision surgery, often more complex that the original surgery, is needed to replace the worn out prosthetic with a new one.
- Arthroscopy Surgery – A minimally invasive procedure, arthroscopy is often used instead of traditional open surgery to give patients an easier surgical experience and a faster recovery.
- Fracture and trauma - Related Services include cast care, custom orthopaedic bracing, lab service, and on-site imaging.
- Foot and ankle - Foot and ankle problems can occur at any stage of life. The surgeons treat a wide range of conditions, including arthritis and fractures of different parts of the foot and ankle, diabetes-related issues and other foot problems like bunions and hammertoe.
The Rehabilitation Network of the Northwell Health is dedicated to providing you and your family with result-oriented, comprehensive rehabilitation services. Our goal is to help you and your loved ones find relief from pain and get moving again after an accident, illness, injury or surgery. We’re your partner in a safe, healthy, more rapid recovery.
When scheduling your appointment with a physician, please confirm your insurance is one that is accepted.