Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital (MEETH) opened its doors to patients on October 15, 1869 at its original location, 223 East 34th Street. At the time, much of the city did not have access to many vital services and the lack of basic healthcare drastically affected everyday life. Faced with this reality, the New York state legislature issued a charter to found a voluntary, non-profit hospital whose mission was to “…alleviate the sufferings of the poor, the prevention of pauperism, and the cultivation and diffusion of sound knowledge of all that relates to the diseases of the eye and ear.” Since its founding, MEETH has built upon its proud tradition of providing patient-centered care and has grown to become the world-renowned facility that it is today.
140 years of Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital (MEETH)
MEETH and Lenox Hill Hospital joined Northwell Health in 2011. MEETH, which is located at 210 East 64th Street, is a specialized center that continues to focus on high-quality care for eye, ear and throat conditions — but that is not all we do. We provide advanced treatments for thousands of patients each year, offering a range of services and expert care.
- Areas of expertise in ambulatory medicine include ophthalmology, otolaryngology (ENT), orthopaedics, podiatry, plastic surgery, urology, gynecology, dental surgery and general surgery.
- 17 operating rooms equipped with the latest technology for surgery.
- Highly specialized medical and clinical staff, with skilled professionals across multiple disciplines collaborating to deliver the best care for you.
- Five outpatient practices including the Retroviral Disease Center, the Center for Attention and Learning, Outpatient Center for Mental Health, Ophthalmology, and Plastic Surgery.
Mission, vision, and values
MEETH shares the Northwell Health vision of making a difference by putting patients at the center of everything we do each day. Our employees contribute to the success of our goals by living up to the core values of:
- Excellence - pursuing greatness with passion and promoting quality outcomes
- Caring - being compassionate, respectful, and supportive
- Innovative - initiating change and promoting creativity
- Teamwork - working together and communicating effectively
- Integrity - being professional, honest, and protecting the privacy of our patients
- Patient experience - always putting our patients first
Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital is a proud Joint Commission Accredited hospital.
Richard E. Braunstein, MD