University Hospice is one of the most important services we offer at Staten Island University Hospital Northwell Health. Our mission at University Hospice is to meet the needs of patients, families, and loved ones during the sensitive and often difficult last days of a dying patient. When the time for hospice comes, we offer comprehensive palliative care that focuses on physical, social, emotional, and spiritual support for yourself, family, and loved ones.
At University Hospice, we see dying as a natural, inevitable process. Hospice care can help your loved one through a more comfortable transition, particularly when curative therapy is no longer effective. We aim to make the process of dying neither shorter nor longer, but rather as smoothly natural and painless as possible. We believe that personalized palliative care and sensitivity to individual needs help patients have full and rewarding lives all the way through death. We will ask for your input to better plan our services as effective resources for the dying patient. At University Hospice, we actively support you—whether patient, family, loved one, or friend—during the transition process, and our bereavement program continues that support after death.
In the service of dying patients, families, and loved ones, and in keeping with the University Hospice mission statement, we strive to do the following:
- Exceed your expectations by always offering the highest standard of care available—in hospice as in all divisions of Staten Island University Hospital
- Respect the dignity of our patients and enhance the quality of life
- Relieve pain, anxiety, discomfort, and other disturbing symptoms as much as possible
- Plan all care with your primary input
- Meet your individual goals
- Help you and the patient develop effective coping mechanisms
- Offer an atmosphere of comfort and compassion while helping you process the emotional impact of death
We are located on the campus of Staten Island University Hospital Northwell Health at 475 Seaview Avenue on Staten Island. If you'd like more information on the palliative care services we offer at University Hospice, or would like to schedule a visit in person, please feel free to contact us at (718) 226-6450.