Hereditary Cancer Genetics Program at Staten Island University Hospital
Staten Island, New York 10305
The Hereditary Cancer Genetics Program is one of the many cancer services we offer at Staten Island University Hospital. Our genetic counseling services can help determine if you are at an increased risk for inherited forms of cancer. If so, you may benefit from genetic counseling.
Cancer genetic counselors are specially trained healthcare professionals with an extensive knowledge of the genes associated with different forms of cancer. Counselors evaluate the likelihood of developing cancer in your lifetime by thoroughly reviewing your personal and family history. The assessment determines if you are an appropriate candidate for genetic testing.
If testing is appropriate, your counselor will discuss with you:
- The risks, benefits and limitations of the testing
- Insurance coverage for genetic testing
- Your lifetime risks for developing certain types of cancer
- Recommendations for future screening and management
- Research options that might be available to members of your family