Staten Island, New York 10305
At Staten Island University Hospital, we believe in the benefits of genetic counseling for certain patients, particularly those with a family history of inherited cancers. Not all types of cancer are passed from one generation to the next, but genetics can be a major factor in early detection for effective treatment. To make the most of the genetic counseling process, use the following tips to get prepared with appropriate information and questions.
- Learn about your family history:
- What family members have had cancer?
- What type of cancer were they diagnosed with?
- What type(s) of treatment did they receive?
- At what age were they diagnosed?
- Gather any pathology reports you may have regarding your personal diagnosis and/or family members' diagnoses of cancer.
- If you or a family member have already had genetic testing, please bring a copy of the results to your appointment.
- Create a list of questions you may have for the genetic counselor.
If you have any questions regarding your upcoming appointment, please contact us at (718) 226-6230.