Staten Island, New York 10305
If you are considering genetic testing due to your personal or family history of cancer, you may have many complex questions and concerns you would like to discuss before moving forward. A genetic counselor specializing in cancer genetics can meet with you to address your concerns and determine whether your family history suggests the presence of an inherited cancer syndrome.
The genetic counselor will collect a detailed cancer-focused personal and family history. He will work with you to:
- Assess your risk for developing cancer
- Discuss the option of genetic testing when appropriate
- Review the risks, benefits, and limitations of genetic testing including:
- Accuracy of the test
- Implications of test results
- The turnaround time for results
- Financial aspects of the testing
- Concerns regarding genetic discrimination
- Offer educational materials and emotional support
To make an appointment, or for more information on cancer genetic counseling, please contact us today.