Staten Island, New York 10305
You may benefit from genetic counseling if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have a concerning personal or family history of cancer (see "red flags").
- Your family is known to have inherited cancer.
- You have concerns about cancer risks for your children or extended family members.
- You are considering genetic testing.
- You have had genetic testing and would like to review your test results further.
Cancer family history red flags
If your family meets any of the examples given below, genetic counseling could be very helpful.
- Several relatives on the same side of your family have suffered from related types of cancer, such as breast, ovarian, pancreatic, colon, uterine or ovarian cancer.
- You have a personal or family history of cancer at an early age (before 45 for breast cancer or before 50 for colon cancer).
- You or a family member have received more than one cancer diagnosis (e.g. cancer in both breasts, breast and ovarian cancer, uterine and colon cancer).
- You or a family member have been diagnosed with rare cancers such as male breast cancer.
- You have a family history of a known altered cancer-predisposition gene.
- You are of Ashkenazi Jewish (Eastern European) ancestry, as there can be an increased risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
To speak with a member of our team or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.