Cardiothoracic Surgery at North Shore University Hospital is nationally recognized for providing superior patient service, offering high-quality treatments, and furthering heart care with groundbreaking research.
Cleveland Clinic alliance
Because of our exceptional services, facilities and cardiac surgery expertise, North Shore University Hospital was chosen to join the Cleveland Clinic Cardiovascular Specialty Network, an alliance of world-class heart experts working to advance care through research, novel techniques and clinical trials.
North Shore University Hospital is the exclusive New York member of this alliance. Learn more about our collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic.
We achieve superior results through multidisciplinary teamwork, evidence-based treatments, ongoing research and personalized care.
- Cardiac rehabilitation program that’s customized to a patient’s unique needs
- Follow Your Heart program, which provides patients complimentary in-home visits following 48 hours after cardiac surgery discharge. This helps patients recover quickly and prevents readmission to the hospital
- World-class mitral and aortic valve disease registry database that follows the progression of valve disease
- Continuum of multidisciplinary care that includes non-invasive testing, diagnostic catheterization and interventional therapies, peripheral interventions, and percutaneous treatment of structural heart disease
We are among the area's leader when it comes to performing the most progressive and effective cardiothoracic surgery procedures. We take on the most complex cases and walk each patient through care options to create a personalized treatment plan.
Our options include the full range of heart and chest surgery:
- Minimally invasive
Our staff of renowned cardiac surgeons and caring health professionals provides a full spectrum of state-of-the-art cardiac surgery procedures.
Alan Hartman, MD
- Senior Vice President and Executive Director, Cardiothoracic Services,
Chair, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery,
Northwell Health and Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine
- view full profile
Cardiovascular Research Department – The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research at Northwell Health provides patients an opportunity to participate in quality clinical research.
Clinical trials at North Shore University Hospital
- Medtronic CoreValve Expanded Use Study: A trial analyzing the treatment of symptomatic severe aortic stenosis for patients who need aortic valve replacement.
- Medtronic CoreValve Surtavi Trial: A study that evaluates the treatment of symptomatic severe aortic stenosis for patients who are at an intermediate risk of needing aortic valve surgery.
The Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine offers a comprehensive curriculum of cardiac care disciplines and medical subspecialties including surgery, cardiology, vascular and thoracic. The accredited programs enable residents and fellows at North Shore University Hospital to develop expertise while working with leaders in research, clinical practice and ongoing care.
Learn how residents develop their medical acumen at North Shore University Hospital with the following accredited programs: