Bariatric surgery at Staten Island University Hospital
Staten Island, New York 10305
If you're ready to take back your health by losing weight, we're here to help.
Losing weight can be a difficult process. However, it's important to return to a healthy weight if you've been diagnosed as overweight or obese. Excess weight can cause serious health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, and in extreme cases, can affect your quality of life and your ability to perform activities you love.
For some, bariatric surgery is an effective way to achieve weight loss. In fact, 90% of people who have bariatric surgery lose at least 50% of their excess body weight. Bariatric surgery works by limiting the stomach’s capacity to reduce hunger and help you eat less, and there are multiple types of weight loss procedures that accomplish this in different ways. One way is by restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold, while another is by reducing the absorption of food into the body. Some bariatric surgeries use both methods.
At Staten Island University Hospital, our bariatric surgery specialists are here to guide you through your weight loss journey every step of the way.
The team at our Center for the Surgical Treatment of Obesity has been performing bariatric surgery for close to 20 years. We use a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach that looks at all aspects of patient health and wellbeing before, during and after surgery. With more than 2,000 completed cases to date, our proven formula has achieved safety and success rates that meet or exceed the national norms.
Our team includes specialists in:
- Internal and pulmonary medicine
- Social work
As part of your care, we also provide special services to meet your particular needs, such as:
- Equipment to accommodate larger patients, providing a greater sense of comfort and safety
- An expert nursing unit trained in treating bariatric surgery patients
- A nurse practitioner, a physician assistant and a nutritionist on call to answer questions regarding diet and pre- and post-operative issues
- Lifelong follow up including diet and exercise counseling, behavioral counseling and support groups
We offer three different surgical weight loss procedures:
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Lap band
Though each is associated with different weight loss outcomes, all provide significant results within 12 to 24 months following the procedure. Most times, this weight loss is sustained over the long term.
Karen E. Gibbs, MD
- Director of Service - Director of Bariatric Surgery of Surgery - Bariatric Surgery, Staten Island University Hospital
- Director of Service - Director of Laparoscopic Surgery of Surgery - Bariatric Surgery, Staten Island University Hospital
- Program Director - Program Director, General Surgery of Surgery - Bariatric Surgery, Staten Island University Hospital
- Assistant Professor, Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- view full profile