Programs & services
If you or a loved one is living with an endocrine-related illness, we can help you manage your condition and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our programs and services support patients, families and health care providers by offering the latest educational resources and encouraging community involvement.
Education and disease management programs
Participants of Northwell Health’s education and disease management programs benefit from the latest treatments and educational resources. Through our specially trained team of nurse practitioners, registered nurses and registered dietitians, we provide health and lifestyle assistance and support to those living with diabetes, prediabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), kidney disease, heart disease and other conditions. Nutrition and weight management education is also available.
Programs and services offered include:
- Diabetes wellness program
- Gestational diabetes program
- Nutrition program
- Weight management program
- Diabetes disease management and care coordination program
- Healthy living workshop
All of our programs are available in facilities throughout Nassau, Suffolk and Queens. Free interpretation and sign language services are also available, and can be arranged when an appointment is being scheduled.
Health and wellness programs
Diabetes Wellness Program
Accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, the Diabetes Wellness Program offers the necessary tools to help you effectively manage your diabetes and take control of your health. All patients will have an individual, in-person appointment, followed by either one-on-one or group sessions.
You will learn how to:
- Cope with diabetes
- Eat healthy
- Be active
- Monitor sugar levels
- Take medication(s)
- Problem solve
Gestational Diabetes Program
The Gestational Diabetes Program is accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators and provides one-on-one sessions with a diabetes specialist. Classes are led by certified diabetes educators, including nurses, nurse practitioners, registered dietitians and pharmacists, all of whom are highly trained in helping people living with diabetes.
You will learn about:
- Gestational diabetes
- Checking your glucose levels
- Eating healthy
- Taking your medication(s)
- What to do and expect after you deliver your baby
Our gestational diabetes provider will work closely with your OB/GYN and endocrinologist to assess your blood sugar control and manage your diabetes medications.
Individual and group appointments are available throughout Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Manhattan. Participants may bring an additional person for support when they attend a class.
Healthy living workshop
If you have a chronic condition, such as arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease or anxiety, you can participate in our healthy living workshop, a six-week workshop designed to teach you how to manage your condition.
Throughout the program, you will learn how to:
- Feel better
- Manage pain and stress
- Become less tired
- Deal with anger, depression and other emotions
- Take control
- Understand your treatments better, so you can make informed choices about treatment options
- Make health-related decisions and solve problems
- Communicate better with family, friends and health care professionals
- Live healthy
- Eat healthy
- Create an exercise plan you can manage
Our Nutrition Program begins with an in-person, one-on-one appointment with one of our registered dietitians, who will address your specific health issue. It also includes group follow-up appointments and/or enrollment in our healthy living workshop.
Weight Management Program
Our weight management services help you achieve your weight loss goals and make healthy lifestyle changes. Our registered dietitians create individualized weight loss plans and offer tips on how to be more active and deal with stress.
Diabetes Disease Management Program
For eligible patients who have difficulty managing diabetes, we offer special services provided by a nurse disease manager, who will work with you and your doctor to help you better control your diabetes. This program consists of both face-to-face and telephonic visits, and includes:
- Personalized care
- Easy, frequent contact with our team
- Clinical assessments by a diabetes specialist
- Medication management in collaboration with your primary care provider
- Frequent calls from your diabetes specialist
- Visits at home and in the office, and check-ins by phone
- Someone to make appointments for you
- Assistance with transportation to appointments
- In-hospital visits from your health care provider if you are hospitalized
- Glucometer, if needed
- Support from our team of nurse practitioners, registered nurses and registered dietitians who are specially trained in diabetes, chronic disease and weight management
Most health insurance plans cover our services. Please note that coverage varies by plan, so we recommend that you contact your insurance carrier to determine coverage.
We offer special assistance to those who do not have health insurance.