The Northwell Health Department of Dental Medicine is composed of highly trained clinicians and dental technicians who offer a unique mix of primary and specialty services to adults and children.
Cohen Children’s Medical Center pediatric dentists are available for preventive and restorative services for well children. In addition, they serve as a regional referral center for children who have special needs. This includes providing comprehensive care to children with behavioral and/or medical concerns which may require sedation and/or general anesthesia.
The Division of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at Long Island Jewish Medical Center offers the following oral-maxillofacial surgery services:
- Dento-alveolar surgery including removal of impacted and erupted teeth in children and adults
- Deep sedation/general anesthesia for dento-alveolar surgery in appropriate adults and children
- Dental implant placement
- Surgical treatment of pathology (abnormal growths/lesions) in oral cavity and jaw
- Reconstruction of the jaw and bone grafting
- Treatment of injuries to the jaw and facial bones (jaw fractures)
- Surgical treatment of malocclusion and jaw size discrepancies
- Surgical treatment of appropriate temporomandibular joint conditions (TMJ)
Oral pathology services
The Oral Pathology Division offers the following services:
- Clinical consultation and diagnosis of oral soft and hard tissue disease (e.g., bony pathology, cysts, tumors and oral cancer)
- Management of oral soft tissue disease (e.g., mucosal disease, lichen planus, pemphigus vulgaris)
- Evaluation and management of diseases of major and minor salivary glands, Sjogren's syndrome, dry mouth
- Pre-radiation/chemotherapy evaluation and management
- Oral pathology biopsy diagnostic service
- Second-opinion evaluation of biopsy specimens
Why choose us?
The Department of Dental Medicine provides world-class oral healthcare services for everyone from infants to senior citizens, as well as special needs individuals.
Patients choose Northwell Health's dental services for:
- A unique mix of primary and specialty dental services
Our services range from preventive oral care, extractions and cosmetic dentistry to oral pathology, dental implants and jaw surgery.
- The area's top dental professionals
Our dentists and dental professionals are experienced in the most progressive oral care treatments.
- Oral-maxillofacial surgeons
Our oral-maxillofacial surgeons have advanced training in the treatment of complex conditions, diseases and injuries of the mouth and jaw, such as impacted teeth, abnormal growths, misaligned jaws and TMJ.
- Regional referral center for special needs children
We provide dental care for children with behavioral and/or medical concerns who may require sedation or general anesthesia.
- Oral pathology services
We provide clinical consultation, diagnosis and management of oral soft and hard tissue diseases.