At Northwell Health Cancer Institute, our physicians don't just treat lung cancer–they treat the whole patient. Our doctors and surgeons work together as a team to create a unique care plan for each patient depending on his or her specific needs, preferences and health history.
With access to state-of-the-art treatment approaches and over 30 years of clinical trial experience, we ensure that your care is anything but one-size-fits-all. We offer seamless access to any specialists you may need for other conditions or cancer-related side effects and offer support services such as genetic counseling, social work, nutrition counseling, lung rehabilitation, psychological counseling, support groups and other services to support your overall well-being during and after treatment.
We'll guide you through every step of your treatment journey. Our specialists are here to answer questions, coordinate integrative care and provide support services. Within the first several days of your visit, the team will conduct comprehensive tests and develop your personalized cancer care plan.
This includes the latest technologies and expertise for treating lung cancer, such as:
- Minimally invasive robotic surgical procedures that allow patients quicker recovery, less pain and less scarring (which make up 90% of our lung cancer procedures)
- State-of-the-art diagnostic procedures, including advanced imaging techniques and molecular profiling of tumors
- Access to a multidisciplinary team consisting of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, interventional pulmonologists, thoracic radiologists, interventional radiologists, pathologists, palliative care specialists, nutritionists, social workers, nurse navigators, nurses and advanced care practitioners
- Aggressive and innovative radiation treatments such as intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and stereotactic radiotherapy
- Personalized treatment approaches based on tumor and/or blood-based molecular and immunological biomarkers
- Access to clinical trials
If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, your team will explain all your treatment options. Throughout your treatment, you will work closely with a dedicated team of specialists in medical oncology, surgical oncology and radiation oncology who collaborate to ensure seamless coordination of your care. Because every lung cancer diagnosis is unique, our physicians meet once a week to share ideas and review every step of each patient's care. Our primary focus is to treat your cancer effectively and conveniently while preserving your quality of life.
Barbara Samson, a retired teacher and active equestrian, had a frightening lung cancer diagnosis. Our own Dr. Lawrence Glassman was able to treat her with a minimally invasive procedure—resulting in less pain, a shorter hospital stay and a full recovery.
Our specialists are at the forefront of research and clinical trials for lung cancer, ensuring that our patients always get the latest, evidence-based treatments.
Screening and progressive surgical procedures have improved the outlook for lung cancer patients, who are now living longer and healthier.