When it comes to treating lung cancer, experience counts—and with more New Yorkers choosing us for cancer care than any other hospital,* our physicians have plenty of experience. Working collaboratively and drawing on the knowledge of experts throughout Northwell Health, the largest health system in the state, our cancer team creates a unique treatment plan that’s tailored to the individual needs of each patient.
We offer leading-edge therapy for lung cancer, and seamless access to specialists for other medical conditions or cancer-related side effects. And we also provide a range of services to support your well-being during and after treatment, including genetic counseling, social work, nutrition counseling, lung rehabilitation, psychological counseling and support groups. Our target is your cancer … but our focus is you.
*According to the Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS) Inpatient and ambulatory surgery data (2017)
Thanks to consistent preventive testing and innovative thoracic surgery, Maureen Devlin got the right care at the right time—and beat lung cancer.
Screening and progressive surgical procedures have improved the outlook for lung cancer patients, who are now living longer and healthier.
Our free health risk assessment is the first step to learning your risk for lung cancer.
Treatment that’s focused on you
At Northwell Health Cancer Institute, we’ll guide you through every step of your treatment journey—our specialists are here to answer questions, coordinate integrative care and provide support services. Within days of your visit, the team will conduct comprehensive tests and develop your personalized cancer care plan.
This includes the latest technologies and strategies for treating lung cancer, such as:
- Minimally invasive robotic surgical procedures that allow patients quicker recovery and cause less pain and less scarring (these account for 90% of the procedures we perform for lung cancer)
- State-of-the-art diagnostic procedures, which include advanced imaging techniques and molecular profiling of tumors
- Access to a multidisciplinary team consisting of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, interventional pulmonologists, thoracic radiologists, interventional radiologists, pathologists, palliative care specialists, nutritionists, social workers, nurse navigators, nurses and advanced care practitioners
- Innovative radiation treatments, such as intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and stereotactic radiotherapy
- Personalized treatment approaches based on tumor and/or blood-based molecular and immunological biomarkers
- Access to clinical trials
If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, your team will explain all your treatment options. Throughout your course of care, a dedicated team of specialists in medical oncology, surgical oncology and radiation oncology will collaborate closely to ensure seamless coordination. Because every lung cancer diagnosis and every patient’s situation is unique, our physicians meet once a week to share ideas and review every step of the care plan. At every point, our emphasis is on treating your cancer effectively while preserving your quality of life.