Center for Neuropsychological Services
The Center for Neuropsychological Services (CNS) at Northwell Health provides an assessment of cognitive and emotional functioning to adults and children with acquired and developmental disorders. Our goal is to compassionately lead our patients through assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of neuropsychological disorders.
A neuropsychological evaluation is recommended for those experiencing difficulty in their cognitive, emotional or adaptive functioning. Symptoms may include:
- Change in behavior
- Change in personality
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble communicating
- Trouble at school or work
Preparation for the evaluation
An evaluation session typically lasts three to four hours. You or your loved one should be sure to get a good night’s rest and eat a healthy meal prior to the evaluation. Please bring all appropriate medical records and other relevant documents to your appointment.
Payment and insurance
Insurance is accepted and pre-authorization of the procedure is requested prior to the evaluation. In the event that insurance will not authorize coverage for the evaluation, self-pay is accepted and sliding scale options are available for those in need.
Frequently asked questions
What is a neuropsychological evaluation?
A neuropsychological evaluation is performed to assess how the different areas and systems of the brain are working. This includes interactive tasks used to measure intellectual, cognitive, emotional, and adaptive functioning, as well as gathering information through review of medical records and an interview with the patient and his or her family members.
A neuropsychological evaluation is used to measure a variety of intellectual, cognitive, functional, and emotional areas, including:
- General intelligence
- Academic achievement
- Adaptive abilities
- Attention and concentration
- Planning and abstract reasoning
- Visual and spatial perception
- Learning and memory
- Motor and sensory processing
- Behavior and emotional functioning
Who needs a neuropsychological evaluation?
Examinations are recommended when someone is experiencing difficulties in areas of their thinking that affect their day-to-day life. Important reasons for an evaluation include:
- The assessment of cognitive and/or functional difficulties. A neuropsychological evaluation can be used to identify weaknesses in specific areas of the brain. It is useful in detecting mild memory and thinking problems that may not be obvious.
- Differential diagnosis. Different illnesses affect the brain in different ways. An evaluation can help differentiate among illnesses.
- Establishment of a baseline. An evaluation may be used to establish a “baseline” of cognitive abilities.
- Identification of a change in functioning. A neuropsychological evaluation can assist in documenting change in cognitive functioning and behavior during the course of an illness, surgical procedure or treatment.
- Treatment planning. An evaluation can be used to identify target problems in order to plan the most effective treatment or to create a behavioral plan to accommodate for specific weaknesses.
A neuropsychological evaluation is appropriate for those with many other diagnoses, such as:
- Brain injury
- Movement disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Learning disability
Zucker Hillside Hospital
Ambulatory Care Pavilion
74th Avenue entrance
Glen Oaks, NY 11004