Behavioral Health College Partnership
Northwell Health’s Behavioral Health College Partnership (BHCP) is a unique community service program that works closely with aﬃliated colleges and universities and their student counseling centers to address behavioral health issues impacting undergraduate and graduate students. BHCP provides state-of-the-art evaluation and evidence-based treatment for psychiatric crises and their aftermath, as well as diverse challenges ranging from adjustment problems to major disorders emerging during the transition to college life.
Pre-existing relationships with many schools and knowledge of their practices allows BHCP to offer specialty consultation services to students regarding common concerns related to academic status, school absences and school re-entry processes. These liaison services allow for more transitions in treatment care, resulting in less disruption in the academic cycle.
Northwell Health Behavioral Health College Partnership is a unique community service program that works with undergraduate and graduate college/university students affected by acute mental health issues to access evidence-based behavioral health services.
Key elements of the Behavioral Health College Program include:
Emergency transport and assessment
- Discreet and sensitive Northwell Health Center for Emergency Medical Services (CEMS) ambulance transport 24/7
- Revamped psychiatric emergency assessment at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center Emergency Department (ED) that emphasizes eﬃciency and school input
- Telepsychiatry capability in student counseling settings to facilitate direct admissions
Young adult inpatient unit specializing in the college population
- State-of-the-art unit for young adults in the Behavioral Health Pavilion at Zucker Hillside Hospital
- Capacity for direct admissions that bypass the ED
- Standardized diagnostics and evidence-based therapeutics
- Family and school engagement
- Comprehensive aftercare treatment plans with the BHCP outpatient program
- Introduction and verbal handoﬀs between providers to prevent relapse
Post-hospitalization outpatient services for college students
- Dedicated staﬀ with college student expertise
- Evidence-based individual and group psychotherapies
- Medication management consistent with successful inpatient treatment
- Emphasis on team- and family-centered care with student counseling centers and parents, respectively