The Northwell Health OCD Center at Zucker Hillside Hospital offers specialized care for adults (ages 16 and older) impacted by obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and related conditions. OCD is a neuropsychiatric condition that affects nearly 2.2 million American adults and 1 million children and adolescents. OCD is characterized by the following core symptoms:
- Recurrent, intrusive, and distressing thoughts, urges, or images (obsessions)
- Repetitive mental or behavioral acts that the individual feels driven to perform (compulsions) to prevent or reduce distress, or to prevent some dreaded event or situation
The OCD Center, located on the border of Queens and Nassau County, features an interdisciplinary approach to treatment with specialists in psychiatry and psychology. It is the only specialized facility in the New York metropolitan area to provide evidence-based treatment for OCD that also accepts most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. This enables Northwell Health to make the gold standard treatment for OCD more affordable to the general public. The OCD Center provides treatment informed by the most current research in the field and is committed to advancing greater understanding of the disorder through its research program. The OCD Center is also affiliated with the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell and serves as a training site for developing clinicians in psychology and psychiatry in evidence-based treatment for OCD. Depending on treatment needs, clients may be seen at the OCD Center multiple times per week during active treatment, with follow-up booster sessions provided upon successful completion of treatment.
At the OCD Center, our team of mental health professionals specializes in the following services for adult patients (ages 16 and older) and their families:
- Comprehensive diagnostic evaluation
- Individualized treatment plans
- Evidence-based pharmacotherapy (treatment through use of medication)
- Evidence-based psychotherapy: cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)/exposure and response prevention (EXRP) - individual and group.
- Evidence-based treatment also available for related conditions, including self-limiting perfectionism, obsessive compulsive personality disorder (OCPD), and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)
- Out-of-office exposures incorporated as needed
- Maintenance therapy and relapse prevention
- Education and supportive resources for patients and families
- Speakers available to communities and service organizations
- Training for developing clinicians in evidence-based treatment for OCD and related conditions
- Cutting-edge research