The Department of Anesthesiology provides the highest quality patient care through academic excellence in medical education and research. The team of skilled anesthesia professionals consists of physicians, nurses and technicians.
Anesthesia is tailored to the needs of each individual patient to optimize comfort and safety during procedures. The team monitors and supports all vital functions during surgery as well as afterward, when they observe the patient’s recovery while providing critical care and advanced pain relief as needed.
Why choose us?
Patients depend on the anesthesiology services at Northwell Health for:
- World-class anesthesiologists - The experienced anesthesiology physicians tailor each phase of surgical preparation and treatment to the needs of the individual patient.
- Certified anesthesia support team - Along with the additional training received by certified registered nurse anesthetists, the nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants and anesthesia technicians have training and accreditation in their respective disciplines.
- Proper anesthesia for individual needs - The anesthesiologists draw on several types of medicines to achieve the proper level of sedation and/or pain relief, including sedatives, analgesics, muscle relaxants and regional nerve blocks, as well as general and local anesthetics, and intensive care anesthesiology.
- Care before, during and after surgery - As critical members of the surgical team, anesthesiologists administer medicines before the procedure and monitor all vital functions during the procedure. After surgery, they monitor the patient's recovery and provide critical care and advanced pain relief as needed.
- Over 24 anesthesia specialties - The skilled anesthesiologists manage the relief of pain for many types of specialty surgeries from cardiovascular and gastroenterology to acute pain management, cancer surgery, obstetrics and gynecology.
Education & training
The Department of Anesthesiology aims to promote an environment of academic excellence, providing training and oversight to the anesthesia residency program and the medical students of the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
All members of the anesthesia care team have extensive training and experience. For example:
- Anesthesiologists complete four years of residency training in anesthesiology after medical school and often take additional fellowship training in a subspecialty discipline.
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) have a bachelor’s degree in nursing, critical care experience and two years of training in anesthesiology.
Most of Northwell Health’s anesthesiologists and CRNAs are employed by North American Partners in Anesthesia (NAPA), which is the largest anesthesia group in the U.S. Nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants and anesthesia technicians have training and accreditation in their specific discipline.