The Academic Affairs oversees Graduate Medical Education, Continuing Medical Education, Faculty Development, Alumni Affairs, Library Services and Global Health throughout Northwell Health. The office serves as a resource to facilitate accreditation of programs as well as recruitment and on-boarding of residents and fellows. Academic Affairs works closely with the Graduate Medical Education Committee and site subcommittees across Northwell. The Office of CME (OCME) works within the Academic Affairs to support all Northwell-sponsored continuing medical education activities.
Services provided by the Academic Affairs related to graduate medical education include:
- Advocates for issues important to the house staff.
- Coordinates the educational committees including the Graduate Medical Education Committee and the hospital-based site subcommittees.
- Serves as a liaison between the Health System and the various accreditation agencies including the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the Commission of Dental-Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association and the Council of Podiatric Medical Education as well as many other sub-specialty organizations.
- Serves as a liaison between the Health System and various local, state and federal regulatory agencies overseeing medical education.
- Conducts periodic internal audits for all accredited and independent graduate medical education programs.
- Monitors the annual initial and re-appointment process for house staff throughout the Health System.
- Sponsors a variety of house staff, medical student and faculty education programs.
- Responsible for the development of graduate and undergraduate medical education programs.
- Conducts the Northwell's annual House Staff Orientation.
- Supports the Resident Fellow Forums and House Staff Associations at individual hospitals.