Where Should You Go If You Have a Weather-Related Emergency?

MANHASSET, NY – With snow slated for this weekend -- and the potential later on for freezing conditions – it’s important to know where to turn if you slip and get hurt.

During the last two ice storms, North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset treated a record number of patients – including more than 350 who came to the emergency department last weekend.

So if you or a loved one experiences a weather-related injury, where should you go?

“If people feel that they have a significant injury, either a fracture or if there’s a head injury and they feel that it’s possible that they may have a significant problem that needs advanced care, they should come to the emergency department,” says Jason D’Amore, MD, emergency medicine physician and emergency medicine research director at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset. “Urgent care is a great place to go if you feel you have a minor injury or a minor illness because they do a wonderful job in taking care of those injuries and illnesses without people having to come to the emergency department.”

Urgent care spots, such as the GoHealth locations in Forest Hills and Massapequa, can treat ailments including:

  • Colds
  • Flu
  • Cuts and lacerations
  • Sprains and fractures
  • Falls
  • Accidents

Dr. D’Amore says for those concerned about wet, slippery conditions should salt and prepare their walkways in advance of the bad weather and not go outside if it is deemed too slippery or treacherous.

Topics: News, Our News

Focus onHealth TV

Watch Focus onHealth, Northwell Health's TV show. It's the healthy way to stay informed!