There’s no need to make a restaurant reservation for this sushi. Most of the ingredients for this Meatless Monday vegetarian sushi recipe are probably in your pantry already.
Anything else may you need is easy to find at a regular supermarket. Find seitan in the refrigerated “health food” section.
Seitan is made from wheat gluten, but is like meat in look and texture when it’s cooked. Seitan is high in protein, too. One ounce has 21 grams of protein and 104 calories.
North Shore University Hospital’s Chef Dave Reilly and Chef Michael Parks Dubose created Lettuce-Wrapped Seitan Sushi with Slaw and Red Pepper Coulis with Debra Epstein, RD, and Meghan Reed, dietetic intern. They originated their vegetarian sushi recipe during a cooking event that focused on meatless dishes–the North Shore-LIJ 2014 Ultimate Chef Challenge.
Serving size: 2 oz Lettuce-Wrapped Seitan Sushi, ¾ cup Fruit Slaw, 1 tsp Red Pepper Coulis.
Preparation time: 40 minutes.
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 269 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 195 mg of sodium.
Ingredients, Lettuce-Wrapped Seitan Sushi
- 10 leaves Romaine lettuce, whole leaves separated and set aside
- 1 cup Fresh seitan, sliced into ¼ inch wide strips
- ½ cup Blackberries
- ½ cup Carrots, peeled into long strips
- ¼ cup Red onion, chopped
- 1½ Tbsp Scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Rosemary, finely chopped
- ¾ tsp Olive oil
Ingredients, Slaw (3/4 cup)
- 3½ cups Cabbage, julienned
- 1 cup Mango, diced
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Snow peas, julienned
- 2 Tbsp Chili sauce
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp Scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 each Apple, julienned
- ½ each Pear, julienned
Ingredients, red pepper coulis (1 tsp)
- 2½ cups Vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Light sour cream
- ½ tsp Horseradish
- 2 each Red pepper, julienned
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ each Pear
Directions, Lettuce-Wrapped Seitan Sushi:
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add seitan to sauté pan, brown on both sides.
- Add red onion, rosemary and scallion to seitan, sauté.
- Add blackberries, mash down to release juices.
- Remove seitan mixture from the heat.
- Place two strips of carrot on top of two leaves of lettuce.
- Cut seitan into four long pieces and place one on top of carrots.
- Place ¼ cup slaw on top of each piece of seitan.
- Roll up each lettuce wrap.
- Place lettuce wraps into sauté pan over low heat to wilt lettuce slightly.
- Cut lettuce wraps into four pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, mango, apple, and pear.
- Combine vinegar, chili sauce, soy sauce, and scallions.
- Pour over cabbage mixture, and toss to coat.
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat, add canola oil.
- Sauté red peppers, add garlic and horseradish.
- Add vegetable broth.
- Add pear, let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sour cream, let melt, mix to combine.
- Place coulis mixture in blender, blend until smooth, and strain.
- Brush 1 tsp coulis onto plate.
- Place ¾ cup slaw on plate.
- Place one lettuce-wrapped seitan on coulis.
- Garnish slaw with 1 tsp snow peas.