What’s the future of breast cancer research? Let’s consider some news-making studies:
- Breast Cancer Prevention The American Cancer Society is searching for the causes of breast cancer with large, long-term study.
- Decision Making There are medications available to women who are at high risk for breast cancer. A national study is evaluating what affects a woman’s decision about how to deal with her breast cancer risk.
- Newer Imaging Tests Breast thermography is a new diagnostic procedure that images the breasts to aid in the early detection of breast cancer.
- New Targeted Therapies in HER2-Positive Breast Cancer Pertuzumab (Perjeta) was recently FDA-approved for advanced HER2-positive breast cancer.
- New Targeted Therapies in ER-Positive Breast Cancer New medications involving the PI3K/AKT pathway in estrogen-positive breast cancer are being studied in clinical trials. One drug called Everolimus (Afinitor) was recently FDA-approved.
Be a part of medical history: Participate in breast cancer clinical trials at the Breast Cancer Center of North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute. Call 516-734-8900 for more information.