North Shore-LIJ Health System Chief Medical Officer David Battinelli, MD, issued the following statement about North Shore-LIJ’s plans to change the model of care at Glen Cove Hospital:
“Since unveiling plans late last summer to change the model of care at Glen Cove, representatives from North Shore-LIJ Health System have repeatedly assured local elected officials and community leaders that the hospital is not closing. Our goal then – as it is now – is simply to put a greater emphasis on outpatient, community- and home-based services, in recognition of the changes occurring in the way health care is delivered and financed across the country.
“As will be reinforced tonight during a presentation to the Glen Cove City Council, the North Shore-LIJ Health System will continue to maintain a full-service Emergency Department, inpatient beds and a range of other services at Glen Cove Hospital.
“As part of our ongoing dialogue and continued partnership with physicians, we are working collaboratively to build the community hospital of the future. As we move forward with those plans, we are continuing to provide inpatient support for surgeries and medical care, including intensive care services. We are also working with our physicians to further enhance our plans for expanded outpatient capabilities.
“We will continue to move forward with the other plans we have outlined for Glen Cove. For instance, Glen Cove’s orthopedic surgery program has been relocated to Syosset Hospital, and we are still planning to move the hospital’s inpatient psychiatry and traumatic brain injury programs to other North Shore-LIJ facilities.
“However, we are proceeding with plans to strengthen services in a way that will better meet the current and future needs of the community, especially our seniors, who will be able to access a broader array of care more quickly and conveniently. Below is a summary of those services:
• Emergency Department: Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to treat a full range of conditions, including complex injuries and illness.
• Inpatient Unit: If a patient requires an inpatient stay, beds will continue to be available.
• Family Medicine Program: Personalized health care and preventative services available for patients of all ages.
• Don Monti Cancer Care Center: State-of-the-art, comprehensive care for a wide range of cancers and blood disorders in a convenient community based setting.
• Outpatient Rehabilitation Services: Physical, occupational and respiratory therapy to help people reclaim their health and well-being, and return to the highest level of functioning and independence as possible.
• Surgery: Utilizing state-of-the-art operating rooms, the Glen Cove team will continue to offer the highest quality surgery technology and practices.
• Enhanced Home-based Services: The North Shore-LIJ Health System is expanding its presence in the Glen Cove community, offering a comprehensive range of home-based programs.
“While there has been some confusion about North Shore-LIJ’s plans for Glen Cove, we want to reaffirm our long-term commitment to a community that we have been proud to serve for more than 90 years.”