Northwell Health today celebrated the opening of its Imbert Cancer Center, a $46.5 million, 46,000-square-foot facility that offers comprehensive, integrated cancer care and imaging services in a stunning outpatient setting, giving Suffolk County residents access to unparalleled cancer services.
The facility is named in honor of Bay Shore residents Susan and Rick Imbert, noted community leaders and supporters of Northwell Health. The center features high-quality cancer services under one roof, including medical oncology, radiation therapy, interventional radiology, surgical oncology, diagnostic imaging, clinical trials and support services. The Imbert Cancer Center is part of the Northwell Health Cancer Institute.
“We have transformed a former King Kullen supermarket into a magnificent new cancer center that provides our patients with access to top-notch cancer specialists and the latest treatments, diagnostic capabilities and clinical research trials in a modern, private and comfortable space,” Michael J. Dowling, president and chief executive officer of Northwell Health, told nearly 200 supporters at a ribbon-cutting event. “Giving the people of Suffolk County access to the best cancer care close to home eliminates the need to travel to Manhattan or even Nassau Country for treatment.”
The Imbert Cancer Center was designed with the needs of cancer patients in mind. Inspired by its location in the waterfront community, the interiors and soothing colors create a comfortable and calming space.
Patients at the Imbert Cancer Center will have access to the resources of the Northwell Health Cancer Institute, which cares for more than 16,000 cancer patients annually across the metropolitan region. Patients on Long Island’s South Shore can also draw on Northwell’s large networks of community-based providers, clinical trials, hospitals, emergency departments and other services – all linked by shared electronic medical records – to help coordinate a range of health needs.
“We recognize the stress and toll cancer treatments can take on patients and their loved ones,” said George Raptis, MD, acting executive director of Northwell Health’s Cancer Institute, who played a key role in the development of the new cancer center. “Our goal is to provide the latest advances in cancer treatment and support services all under one roof, and soon clinical trials, so patients can access the very best in cancer care close to their homes and their other treating physicians, spend less time driving to appointments and focus more of their energy on healing and recovery. We believe this is the best model not only for total cancer care but also total patient care”
Breast cancer survivor Suzette Rodriguez, 40, of West Babylon, also spoke at the event. Ms. Rodriguez, a mother of two young sons, was diagnosed with breast cancer last November. She received 16 rounds of chemotherapy at Northwell’s Monter Cancer Center in Lake Success and her first mastectomy by a surgeon affiliated with the same facility.
“Not only does cancer take a toll on you physically, but so do your doctor appointments and necessary labs,” Ms. Rodriguez said. “Add in a long commute and you’re mentally and physically exhausted.”
Ms. Rodriguez, who lives near the Imbert Cancer Center, will receive follow up care there. “The new cancer center will not only give patients amazing care, but will also give them time – time to rest instead of having to drive; time to spend with loved ones instead of sitting in traffic,” she said.
The Imbert Cancer Center provides exceptional, multidisciplinary cancer care, including:
- Medical oncology – The latest chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapies.
- Radiation therapy services – Intensity-modulated radiation therapy, stereotactic radiosurgery, stereotactic body radiation therapy and high dose rate brachytherapy.
- Accredited imaging – Low-dose PET/CT, SPECT/CT, MRI, ultrasound, digital X-ray and interventional radiology procedures.
- Specialized surgery – Surgical oncologists and surgical subspecialists perform a wide range of procedures, from minimally invasive surgeries to robot-assisted treatments for rare and complex surgeries. For surgeries, Southside Hospital is integrated with Northwell’s cancer treatment programs.
- Clinical trials – Northwell’s Cancer Institute has been a leader in clinical trials for more than 30 years. Patients can participate in a wide range of clinical trials for nearly every cancer type – close to home. Northwell’s Cancer Institute is strategically affiliated with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world leader in cancer research.
The Imbert Cancer Center was designed by EwingCole, a Philadelphia-based architecture and design firm. The firm also designed Northwell’s Monter Cancer Center in Lake Success, NY.
Attention media: Photos and video clips, including interviews and B-roll from the event, are available. Click here to download.