Lenox Hill Hospital’s food service staff and dietitians gathered a delicious variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts and herbs for a seasonal farmers market in the hospital cafeteria Sept. 28.
Corno di toro peppers, plum tomatoes, garlic and other fresh produce peppered a colorful display, and were available for purchase to hospital staff and visitors.
In addition to decorative scarecrows and staff dressed like farmers, the market featured all of the ingredients to one dish in particular, basil ratatouille. Called a “vegetable medley of eggplant, zucchini and tomato” by Lenox Hill dietitians, the dish was also the Healthy Choice recipe served in the hospital cafeteria that day.
This Healthy Choice recipe has just 45 calories, 1.5 grams of total fat and 0 milligrams of cholesterol, with 2 grams of dietary fiber and 2 grams of protein.
To make basil ratatouille at home, follow this recipe:
- 2 3/8 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 oz yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 15 5/8 oz eggplant, peeled
- 1 1/4 lbs zucchini, with skin
- 14 1/2 oz red peppers, diced ¼”
- 14 1/2 oz tomatoes, diced ¼”
- 5/8 tsp salt
- 5/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- Cut eggplant and zucchini into 1” cubes
- Heat sauce pan over medium heat. Add oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté 6 to 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, and red peppers. Stir-fry for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
Learn more about Lenox Hill Hospital's Outpatient Nutrition Program.